• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency misleading re Contract Length

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bathingape View Post
    Nope - pushed him back up to the advertised rate
    Nice one.

But again, remember if you have a no work/no pay or a woolly clause covering instant termination which most do the notice period is irrelevant.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      With out the stupid Ever and ever comment they have a rate and they will generally stick to it unless there are some big market swings over a period. They won't however stick to it for ever and ever. Funny how a stupid comment can turn what might have been true statement in to a pile of crap.

Talking of steaming piles of crap... there is another one.

All spoken like a typical permie minded disguised contractor that doesn't know what they do.
      I bow to your contractor ninja like skills and knowledge NLUK
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        All spoken like a typical permie minded disguised contractor that doesn't know what they do.
        Might I interest sir in one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
          Might I interest sir in one of these?
          He's already on ignore. Sadly it's pretty poor so I can see stuff before I log in and the app tells me he's ignored and then shows it if he's quoted someone. It's not very good and have resisted most of the crap I've seen. This particularly post stood head and shoulders above most of the other bollocks so couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I bow to your contractor ninja like skills and knowledge NLUK
            Not really either. Just being aware what is going on around you and not making ridiculous sweeping statements.

I must admit I thought you'd had a rate rise at renewal sometime in the past? I certainly have on a number of occasions. The agent has made his money from the contract length in hand. Everything else is a bonus so if he's taking 15-20% it shouldn't be too difficult to get him to chop that for renewals. Agents just don't ditch contractors to replace them just to keep their margins up. It's really poor practice and won't be profitable for them in the long run. They would much rather keep a person on at a reduced rate and concentrate on placing another body somewhere else. It's just basic business sense.

Comment

Oh.. Looky here..

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Rate increases = nightmare.

IMHO, most clients are generally not happy to have to pay for a contractor in the first place so when they find out they want more it doesnt go down well.

Saying that, theres always a chance the pimp is taking a huge margin.

Current gig just got a raise.Agent gave me all the, client cant afford to pay more blah blah blah, the wont be happy if they've got to re-do budgets etc, and there's no slack in the margin at all the agency is down to the bare bones blah blah blah.

But I stuck to my guns this time and agency came back with an increase which I was pleased with. Until I found out accidentally a week later just how much the of a margin the agency had been taking - over 30%! (its still about 17% now!). Was not pleased.

Obviously, agent had given up a big of their huge margin to keep me quiet confident in the knowledge they were still coining it well.

Some have mentioned speaking to client directly. Nah I dont think so. Most clients dont want to get involved in arguments like this.

You'll probably argue the point it's a ridiculous margin which is kind of your fault anyway but it doesn't even have to be this extreme. The guy is on 17% now, that's say 70 quid a day or 400? Shouldn't be too difficult getting another tenner or more out of that if you want to push it. It's pure profit for the agent.

Anyway. That's me done on this one. I'm already in trouble so just gonna slink out quietly and hope my I don't get another Private Message today......
              Last edited by northernladuk; 6 July 2016, 13:55.

Comment

This is becoming boring to see so much humiliation, in the professional section it's unacceptable. Who likes to humiliate others are the losers. Common on the Internet.

Comment

Working...
                X