• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Van/Pickup - My first post, be gentle!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nelly76 View Post
    That's more what I was hoping someone would say. As I would also have a separate family car so no van use outside of work, do I need to pay BIK? Accountant says no.
    Yes you do. The accountant is wrong. The vehicle is available for use, so you pay BIK. No question about it, that is how it is. I even argued with HMRC that when I was abroad and the car was parked at the airport back in the UK that I shouldn't pay BIK for those days. HMRC declared the car was still AVAILABLE at the airport, so BIK was chargeable. Not being able to use it was my problem, not theirs.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

BIK

The key thing is that it is available for private use....irrelevant whether used or not.

There is the option of deeming it as a "pool" vehicle which we've used before for other non-contractor type clients but even then, the vehicle had to be available to all staff, insured for business purposes only, and full mileage records maintained. That way were able to demonstrate to HMRC that all trips were business related. Bit easier to prove when you've a few staff but if you're a sole director with the business premises being your home then a very sticky wicket!

Yes, you'd get the cost of the vehicle, running costs, etc to go through the company accounts but there's the BIK to deal with as well so sitting down with the numbers to weigh up whether worthwhile is advisable. I carried out the same exercise for a client 2 weeks ago, comparing pros and cons of a pickup, car and a mobile home either privately, through company and with finance or cash. The differences are pretty substantial depending on the vehicle, length of time intend to keep it, finance, etc so need the details to work out which way to go.

Comment

Working...
      X