• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Implied Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    I was planning to convert the garage and had my builder all lined up to do it, we agreed a price to be paid upon completion, circumstances changed and I decided not to progress it, my builder still expected to get paid and sued me for the money... OP if this sounds ridiculous to you then I suggest to rethink your original post.
    Not the same scenario.

It is more like signing up for a ISP with a 12 month contract, and then not terminating the contract when the 12 months is up by continuing to pay for the service.

Anyway as I said the dispute is with the agency involved so OP needs to read and understand the termination clauses in their contract. There are clear instances when no notice is required and others where it depends on the contract wording.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Normally I'd say what NLUK is saying. If you're an IPSE+ member get onto them to see about the notice period.

BUT, you've been working without a contract. This might complicate things.

Makes me wonder if the client/agent knew full well that there was not really a contract in place and have taken advantage of this fact.

OP - you know working without a contract was a bad bad idea yeh?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

notice periods are not worth the paper they are written on and I don't think you have much of a chance of winning, the time and effort spent chasing it would be better used looking for another contract, move on

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Normally I'd say what NLUK is saying. If you're an IPSE+ member get onto them to see about the notice period.

BUT, you've been working without a contract. This might complicate things.

Makes me wonder if the client/agent knew full well that there was not really a contract in place and have taken advantage of this fact.

OP - you know working without a contract was a bad bad idea yeh?
          This^^ I didn't spot that line so WPCS.

I'd be surprised if anyone has attempted to do this deviously. The contract protects both parties at the end of the day. The contractors that turn up or work without one do it because they don't have a clue. Agents do this for a job and have a clue so will know it's a bad idea. It's possible of course but I'd be very surprised.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X