• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corp Tax Refund

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, if it is interest, it is interest income. If it is a refund of overpaid tax, it isn't interest income. It isn't even income, really. It's a negative amount in your tax expense column, isn't it?

Comment

If its just a refund of an overpayment, then in your books your corporation tax account would show the overpayment as a debit balance, e.g.:

Corporation Tax calculated and accounted for:
      DR P&L £10000
      CR Corporation Tax £10000

The overpayment:
      DR Corporation Tax £10500
      CR Bank £10500

Corporation Tax account: -£500

Refund received:

DR Bank Account £500
      CR Corporation Tax £500

CT Account Balance: £nil

(I think I've got my credits and debits the right way around there).

So in other words it doesn't have any effect on your tax position, its just a refund to your bank account and a bookkeeping adjustment. Unless the refund also includes interest, in which case it might be something like:

Refund + interest received:

DR Bank Account £550
      CR Corporation Tax £500 (balance now £nil)
      CR Interest Income £50

The £50 would be included in your taxable income.

Comment

The £3.78 is held on account until used to offset CT owed this year, but once you do that they'll credit another 2p as interest on the interest. Quite tough if you're OCD about getting things to add up. Now I need an extra tab in the worksheet just for "Bank of Hector" with CR and DR and all that.

I dunno why you binned the cheques. Just pay them into the company account and put it down as interest, as if the account itself paid that interest.

Will HMRC still send a cheque if requested? I presumed there was a tick-box on the CT600 that my accountant didn't check this time round but perhaps it's just the way now.

Comment

Working...
        X