• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of contract (laptop expense and salary)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why are you the only person on here or anywhere that gives this advice? Its not in the newbies guides, I've never heard my accountant suggest this and may of the respected posters on here have never put this forward.

I think you've defended it for so long you can no longer see the wood for the trees. In your fantasy land this is a viable option but not in anyone else's. Does this fact not occur to you?
    Generally, I ask my accountant questions about running my business. Nothing to do with PERSONAL benefit claims. In the past I've asked the Jobcentre about that.

Then again, neither do I ask my accountant to review my contracts. Everyone has their own role ;-)

I don't 'give advice' I'm merely pointing out that its possible. Whether the OP claims or not I don't care. If he decides he cant be bothered or thinks its morally wrong then again I dont care.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

@OP.. Don't forget about claiming VAT back on capital assets over 2k if you are going to be spending a lot but take careful note of the rules. Your accountant should be your first port of call for questions though.

Claiming back VAT on capital assets over £2,000

And plenty of threads on it from here...

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...ntractoruk.com
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mastersaab View Post
        This could be my last month of contract with my current client and possibly it won't be extended. I was in the process of buying a MacBook for work but as there is rumour that new MacBook might be coming out next month.
        Making technology decisions on what might be around the corner is a path to never buying anything.

My question is that if my contract doesn't get extended after this month and I have no more work, would I still be able to buy MacBook and use it as business expense next month? Even though I might be not Working but actively looking for a job and hoping to continue
        Yes.

2nd question, do I really need to take any salary if I am off work? I have money saved up for the time I'm off work but for tax purposes, is it of any benefit to carry on claiming salary?
        Why wouldn't you pay salary? Assuming you run the business on the "usual" low salary, high dividend model, then you won't be paying any income tax or NI (unless you are claiming the employers allowance, in which case paying salary is a given), so paying salary from the company means that you reduce the profit the company makes and therefore reduce the corporation tax bill. Plus, you get the money into your pocket at nil tax rates rather than having to possibly pay tax in the future on that money.

If you're worried about the company running out of cash if you pay salary, then pay the salary (or declare it on RTI) and then don't actually transfer the money - let that amount accrue in the director's loan account, so that the company owes you the money when it can pay you it. That gives you all the tax benefits and none of the cashflow worries.

Your accountant should be able to explain this to you further.

Comment

Why are you the only person on here or anywhere that gives this advice?
          Erm...

Contractor Doctor: Can I claim Job Seekers Allowance if I have a limited company?

Comment

Nice one. To be fair, it is a few years out of date though so some of the quoted limits have changed I think.

So NLUK - any comment?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Nice one. To be fair, it is a few years out of date though so some of the quoted limits have changed I think.

So NLUK - any comment?
              Nope, got me there... Although Contractor Doctor does also have an article about faking sick leave as well.......

Contractor Doctor: Should I fake sick leave to avoid complications with my agency?

Comment

Nope, got me there... Although Contractor Doctor does also have an article about faking sick leave as well.......

Contractor Doctor: Should I fake sick leave to avoid complications with my agency?
                Ah the old grasping at straws in the face of failure trick... Well played....

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                  Ah the old grasping at straws in the face of failure trick... Well played....
                  LOL.. I don't think so....

Comment

Haha. That article is hilarious. The basic premise seems to be "I'm ill so should I fake sickness?" WTF???
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Don;t think nluk read the article. The advice seems to be "be honest"

Comment

Working...
                      X