• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brookson bad experience, what next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandshoesandgrandad View Post
    Good Morning Everyone

And firstly apologies for bumping a somewhat old thread.

After working 30+ years as an employee and having recently been made redundant, I found a position as a contractor, the contract is a minimum of a year but could well go into 2 or 3 years. This all happened very quickly for me and so I was recommended to go with Brooksons who set up my Ltd company for me, a business bank account and my accounting, and I have been contracting for just over 5 weeks. I now find myself questioning if I am to get value for money using Brookson as I don't feel I have so far, I have looked at Quickbooks and Freeagent who as I understand it are App led if you will and clearly a lot less cheaper.

My question is how easy would it be to transfer to a different accounting system, what would be involved and most importantly your or any recommendations, as I say all very new to this so do please excuse if I ask simple or too many questions, looking for advice and I'm hoping I have come to the right place.

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks Guys
    As you have only been contracting for 5 weeks, you can easily transfer to a FreeAgent accountant. You have rightly spotted that using FreeAgent would bring you an advantage and mainly you will be the account owner of the software and it is also very good software with fantastic support. If you decided to make a move, you can take your FreeAent account to another accountant or pay the license yourself. FreeAgent have a directory listing with accountants on their website to chose from, but also most of the accountats on this forum partner with FreeAgent including us.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. so they simplistic way I see it, I use for example Quickbooks via the App and then engage an Accountant to go through my accounts, I've been quoted @£75.00 a month by a local accountant, clearly the Quickbooks fee would be on top of this. Can I ask if this fee looks fare/ good value considering the slight lack of info I have given, am I missing anything.

Many Thanks

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. so they simplistic way I see it, I use for example Quickbooks via the App and then engage an Accountant to go through my accounts, I've been quoted @£75.00 a month by a local accountant, clearly the Quickbooks fee would be on top of this. Can I ask if this fee looks fare/ good value considering the slight lack of info I have given, am I missing anything.

Many Thanks
        Myself, I have to say, I can't understand why anyone would choose something over FreeAgent. FA seems like it is becoming the default choice of book keeping platform.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Myself, I have to say, I can't understand why anyone would choose something over FreeAgent. FA seems like it is becoming the default choice of book keeping platform.
          Thanks Fred for the quick reply, is it possible you could give me a quick overview how FA works in conjunction with an Accountant, FA is @£30 a month would for example my accountancy fees be less by using it?

Comment

Thanks Fred for the quick reply, is it possible you could give me a quick overview how FA works in conjunction with an Accountant, FA is @£30 a month would for example my accountancy fees be less by using it?
            Look at the FA website where they list accountants who provide FA based services. Also, several accountants here are FA practises. Regarding using it, I really advise you to read the FA website, then if you like what you see, sign up for the free 30 day trial. Once you get the feel for it, ask questions here. I suggest you do not sign up with FA directly, but with one of the FA providers here. HTH.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

As a recent solo ltd contract, there are a few good options via the forums and I researched most of them, i went with Maslins and they also include FreeAgent in their monthly package (99+vat). Easy enough to set them up as a user on your FreeAgent system. Quality of service was really important to me and so far all my expectations have been met.

Comment

Originally posted by The Procrastinator View Post
                As a recent solo ltd contract, there are a few good options via the forums and I researched most of them, i went with Maslins and they also include FreeAgent in their monthly package (99+vat). Easy enough to set them up as a user on your FreeAgent system. Quality of service was really important to me and so far all my expectations have been met.
                Hi,

I will be setting up limited company and Brooksons sounds OK from what they say, but I am not sure as I am new to this.
                Does Maslins £99+VAT monthly fee cover everything including tax returns and anything else required?

Comment

Originally posted by pcassidy68 View Post
                  I will be setting up limited company and Brooksons sounds OK from what they say, but I am not sure as I am new to this.
                  Does Maslins £99+VAT monthly fee cover everything including tax returns and anything else required?
                  No comment re Brooksons. Yes our £99+VAT/month fee is all inclusive for a typical contractor/freelancer. We do have a separate charge if you want us to actually do the incorporation itself (a one off £99+VAT). Realistically only other time you might get charged extra would be if you wanted to set up a second company/similar.

Some tasks we'll do on your behalf. Some we'll prod you and give guidance when they need to be done but ask you to actually submit.

Happy to answer any specific queries, either here, or perhaps email [email protected] if anything private.

Comment

Don't use them

I used Brookson from July 2009 to March 2011. They may have improved since then but I doubt it. I have not found it easy to make any real comments. I don't trust Trustpilot - I think they delete most of the bad comments on everything so that their clients, who pay them always get good reviews, but this is hopefully a chance to say what I really think.

They are firstly impersonal, phoning them is like any call centre except that their access to personal information is appalling. Secondly they made mistakes all the time. They worried me all the time with reminders that I had not provided important information for HMRC, either because they hadn't told me to provide it or, more often in error, when I had provided it. When I called them they would tell me something, then the next time I would repeat what they told me and they would deny all knowledge. Information that was supposedly added to my electronic records when I phoned one time would turn out not to be there the next time etc.

I was so pleased when I left them and found a good small accountant. He does everything for me and is well worth the small extra fee.

After I left, my accountant told me how much he disagreed with the figures that Brookson had used in my previous accounts.

I stopped using their services in March 2011, but they sent me an email on 21/12/2011 saying,

" Immediate Action Required

We urge you to review and approve your draft year-end accounts.

We need your approval of these draft accounts so we can produce your final accounts, submit them to Companies House and confirm the amount of Corporation Tax you will be required to pay by the 31 December 2011 deadlines......
                    Your company may be liable for financial penalties if your year-end accounts are delivered late to Companies House; penalties for late filing are as follows:
                    Not more than 1 month - £150
                    More than 1 month but less than 3 months - £375
                    More than 3 months but less than 6 months - £750
                    Over 6 months late - £1,500"

Incidentally, why did they change their name to Brookson One?

Comment

Working...
                    X