• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No personal allowance left

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No personal allowance left

Because I am drawing a pension I have no tax allowance left.

I have spoken to accountant, contractors and surfed this web site and get conflicting advice:

1. Don't draw a salary, just dividends
    2. Pay small salary rest in dividends
    3. Draw only salary and bonuses not dividends

No.3 from contractors who have been in business long time and suggest options 1 & 2 run risk of drawing unwanted attention. No.3 guarantees quiet life.

I would welcome advice.

Originally posted by arrowone
    Because I am drawing a pension I have no tax allowance left.

I have spoken to accountant, contractors and surfed this web site and get conflicting advice:

1. Don't draw a salary, just dividends
    2. Pay small salary rest in dividends
    3. Draw only salary and bonuses not dividends

No.3 from contractors who have been in business long time and suggest options 1 & 2 run risk of drawing unwanted attention. No.3 guarantees quiet life.

I would welcome advice.
    Go 2 and make the dividends spaced out (every year if you can afford it) which is less suspicous than monthly dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowone
      I would venture that should say "No. 3 from contractors who are clueless".

Are you working? If so, 2, otherwise 1.

Comment

Do you need the extra cash and when are you intending to retire properly.
        how much cash is there ?
        How about take minimal salary then esc c.16 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          I would venture that should say "No. 3 from contractors who are clueless".

Are you working? If so, 2, otherwise 1.
          Are you saying if you are on the bench you should not be drawing a salary?
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
            Are you saying if you are on the bench you should not be drawing a salary?
            No. Option 3 was to only draw a salary. Even if you're on the bench you can still draw dividends as long as they're paid for out of retained profit.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Just completed my first contract and looking for my second.

Not sure when I will retire permanently - 5 years max, sooner if I can't find a suitable contract.

Target daily rate 300 - 400

I probably need to draw around 1500 per month to live.

So what would be a reasonable salary / dividend ratio bearing in mind I have already used all my tax relief.

Comment

If you're not actually working at the moment, draw it all as dividends (paid for out of retained profit, of course).

Comment

Working...
                X