• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JSA Want My Money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JSA Want My Money

My first post - please be gentle.

I am not looking for legal advice - just some opinions.

I use Chorus (JSA) as an umbrella company for my IT contracts and
    have done since 2003.

I have just recieved a letter along the lines of 'during an audit
    it transpires that in 2004 we both underpaid and overpaid you - the
    outcome of which is you owe us £2000 - please let us have a cheque'!

Obviously my first thought was to send a cheque plus my house deeds
    and car keys but........

Questions:

1. Anyone else dealing with Chorus (JSA) been contacted like this (or is
    it just me).

2. Are they just trying it on and am I within my rights to tell them to
    go away and transfer my business elsewhere (which I will do anyway).

Any thoughts.

First of all find out if they are right.

If they are right then you should pay them back the money as it is not yours.

I belive there is a time limit for them to claim the money back however, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head, I think 3 years but I may have just made that up.

On the positive side you can always claim to not have any spare cash and offer to pay them back at a rate of £1/week for the next 38 years. Also a good opportunity to start your own LTD Co, pay yourselfa minimum wage and if they decide to take you to court say look i only earn £5000 a year, my £1 a week offer is all I can afford !!!

Bear in mind that they srewed up so you have some power hen it comes to deciding the terms for paying them back the money.

Comment

Isn't the problem that as they process your payroll they can just deduct it at source if you try to take the pi$$?

Comment

Incompetent service.

And they dont mind revealing this fact to the whole world for the sake of a few bucks.

Do as Ardesco says and then dump them.
        jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Transfer your business elsewhere first to stop that from happening. As I said in previous post, god time to start up your LTD Co.

Comment

Employee

Seek legal advice!!

Remember you're an employee of the umbrella company, if they've messed it up should repay it on your terms.....and change brollies or set up a limited company!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
              Isn't the problem that as they process your payroll they can just deduct it at source if you try to take the pi$$?
              They can't (legally) do that without your agreemenet. All deductions from payroll beyond PAYE and NI have to be agreed by the recipient or imposed by a court.

Comment

ongoing...

Thanks for all your advice.

I have since recieved a '... will refer to a debt collection agency..' letter.

I have now asked them for a complete breakdown of the payments/invoices etc. and a full set of company accounts for that period.

I have also mentioned using a firm of 'forensic accountants' to go over the figures.

I dont even know if there is such a thing!!

I have also told them that any costs that I incur I will be looking to JSA to pay.

I haven't had a reply yet!!

Comment

Originally posted by millassoc
                  I have also mentioned using a firm of 'forensic accountants' to go over the figures.

I dont even know if there is such a thing!!
                  There is, but it isn't what you need. You just need a bog standard freelance book-keeper to check it.

Originally posted by millassoc
                  I have also told them that any costs that I incur I will be looking to JSA to pay.
                  This is probably reasonable, subject to your statutory obligation to mitigate your costs.

tim

Comment

Working...
                  X