• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Part own a company 50:50 but get paid by it as a freelancer via invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First thought. If you're having this much difficulty with your partner at this stage, you've got to consider whether you've gone into business with the right person.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I don't understand the "too little to pay salary", but enough to pay a dividend?
    I think the OP might consider salary to be a regular amount a month and operating PAYE. There's no reason for pay not to vary from month to month, including being zero for some months.

The OP could figure out with the partner a reasonable amount to cover the extra work he's doing. When the company has the sufficient funds and it's enough to make it worthwhile for the OP - pay out that amount, with tax and NI (ee and er) deducted and passed onto HMRC.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      First thought. If you're having this much difficulty with your partner at this stage, you've got to consider whether you've gone into business with the right person.

I think the OP might consider salary to be a regular amount a month and operating PAYE. There's no reason for pay not to vary from month to month, including being zero for some months.
      Ah yes - it's not my sole income and the idea has been developed by us together over the years. It ran ok as two small businesses before this - I was the technical brains and he did the invoicing and had a contact or two - but plan is to expand it.

You 've hit the nail on the head re. salary - we both assumed it had to be a regular amount. Thank you immensely - that might be the solution.

Comment

I've invoiced a company I was a shareholder of (but not director of) from my contracting Ltd. I never thought there was any issue with doing this; assuming it's for a service rather than as a way of getting money out of the company then I can't see anything wrong.

The problem with doing it as salary is that you should really register for PAYE, which you probably don't want to do as a one off.

But really you should get things straight with your partner.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X