• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unreasonable contract clause?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreasonable contract clause?

Hi all,

I have been offered a contract for a 6 month project. It seems like it is a very exciting project, and I would like to accept. The problem I have is with the contract the agency is trying to shove down my throat. The whole contract is terribly geared towards the agency, but I can live with that. But the clauses that seem to prevent me from ever working anywhere else are harder to swallow. For instance, consider the following snippet:

[Any Designs and Inventions shall be disclosed to the Client whether conceived apprehended or learned by the Consultant and/or the Individual during the course of or after the termination of this agreement and the Consultant and/or the Individual shall at the Client's request and at the Client's cost join with it and do and perform all acts and things necessary to procure the registration and/or the protection of any Designs and Inventions as the Client may direct.]

I understand that I work for the client and any products/code produced during this time belong to the client, but in my mind this clause gives the client rights to my work for the rest of my life.
    So my question is, is this a normal clause in a contract? Or should I find myself a solicitor?

Kind Regards
    Zilver

What are you doing?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I am a developer, i.e. IT.

Comment

Get your company secretary (wife) to sign it, then they only have rights to the code she has created during your contract....

Comment

As clever as that may seem, I think they might spot that little trick

Comment

If you're in the PCG, ask their legal helpline. If not, (and why not?) I suggest you ask a solicitor. If you're really concerned, strike it out the "or after" as unreasonable - perhaps "up to the conclusion of this contract" is more acceptable - and sign it on that basis.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

do a search here there are a couple that seem to be used. Bauer and Cotterll (?sp) is one.
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Zilver
                As clever as that may seem, I think they might spot that little trick
                I get the company secretary to sign all of mine, never had anybody so much as bat an eyelid yet. As the company secretary deals with all of the business administration it makes sese that she should sign all the paperwork (i.e. contracts) and the fact that she has signed all of the paperwork shows she is playing an active part in the business should I decide to pay her, or give her a dividend.

Comment

"I am a developer, i.e. IT."

Helpful. V. Helpful

I'm an IT Contractor by the way. How do you do?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If it's at the clients cost, and a cost is not specified, you are at liberty to quote any rate you like to provide the client with any information they request once the contract has been concluded. Who is the agency, that might shed some light?
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X