• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounting software vs not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunches, mileage, parking, some beverages

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Then you are making more work for yourself, claim £5 for lunch, how much effort did that £1 saved cost you
      I don't follow.. Enlighten a rookie!

Comment

Then you are making more work for yourself, claim £5 for lunch, how much effort did that £1 saved cost you
        If you're claiming subsistence you must also be claiming travel so I'm not sure I follow this line of thinking. If you're claiming travel it's not much more effort to claim lunch and over the course of a long contract it all adds up, especially if you're working somewhere expensive like London and commuting a fair distance.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          If you're claiming subsistence you must also be claiming travel so I'm not sure I follow this line of thinking. If you're claiming travel it's not much more effort to claim lunch and over the course of a long contract it all adds up, especially if you're working somewhere expensive like London and commuting a fair distance.
          I agree.

I pay all my lunches with the business card, so yes, several little transactions per week (between £4 and £6 usually).

I guess it might be simpler and less verbose to just apply for an allowance. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

For travel I just add together all the Oyster journeys at the end of the month and also I download the travel history from their website. I claim this as an out-of-pocket expense each month.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
            I agree.

I pay all my lunches with the business card, so yes, several little transactions per week (between £4 and £6 usually).

I guess it might be simpler and less verbose to just apply for an allowance. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

For travel I just add together all the Oyster journeys at the end of the month and also I download the travel history from their website. I claim this as an out-of-pocket expense each month.
            This would be a helluva lot easier in something like Freeagent. Automatic imports of transaction and an intuitive "explanation" process to code the transactions properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
              This would be a helluva lot easier in something like Freeagent. Automatic imports of transaction and an intuitive "explanation" process to code the transactions properly.
              That's exactly why I do it, because I use freeagent and is sooo easy

Not sure I would do it if I had to use spreadsheets, like an animal

Comment

Originally posted by zudecke View Post
                Excel vs cloud...

But what about neither.. Just send invoices, receipts and statements over to acca and let them take care of it all?
                You can do that but expect to a hefty premium for it. I reckon I'd have to charge £250 PCM to make this worthwhile. Or to scare the contractor into doing some of it himself or find someone else.

Comment

As easy as taking one off the pile of receipts, inputting a date and amount into Excel and pressing enter

If I could make a pound as easily as that all the time I'd be doing it all day long. Say it takes you a generous 10 seconds per receipt, and you save £1 each time. On a 8 hour day that would be worth £360 for an hours worth, or£2,880 a day. Plus any travel and the work at home charge.

If you feel your time is better paid elsewhere, feel free!
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                    You can do that but expect to a hefty premium for it. I reckon I'd have to charge £250 PCM to make this worthwhile. Or to scare the contractor into doing some of it himself or find someone else.
                    Ah, I should have known - sounded too good to be true.

So in that case, Excel vs Kashflow - consensus?

Comment

Accounting software vs not

I don't know kashflow but it'll be better than spreadsheets that's for sure.

If you go for kashflow (or any other app) I'd recommend ensuring you get sn accountant who is on board. I expect kashflow will have a partner programme you'll be able to pick from.

Comment

Working...
                      X