• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a "good" time to switch accountants, and who does CUK recommend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    A good time to switch accountants is before they go to jail for fraud, or before they steal your money.
    How would they steal your money anyway? Do you let them access your bank account?

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
      How would they steal your money anyway? Do you let them access your bank account?
      They tell you they pay your CT and the VAT so you transfer it to them instead if directly to HMRC and the file a 0 return without telling you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ress-wife.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ouch

Harsh that the companies who he screwed had to pay the tax he stole from them........

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
          Harsh that the companies who he screwed had to pay the tax he stole from them........
          Na, why should the taxpayer be out of pocket because they've been stupid?

Comment

Stupid?

Stupid is harsh - many accountants provide the service to pay your VAT / Tax as well as submit your accounts - Upton was a registered accountant. Even in my team of 8 contractors who sit around me, a couple have there accountants pay and submit everything.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              Free advice or free advertising? If I ever need to change accountants, I'll be changing to someone who has posted here often enough and lucidly enough to convince me that they 1) know what they are doing 2) actually try to get the facts before shooting off an opinion 3) are willing to take the time to patiently explain to me even if my question is stupid.

Why go to someone I don't know when I already can tell by their interactions here that I can count on them?

I remain happy with my current accountant. If that changes, I already have three names in mind of people who post here. If someone is smart enough to take advantage of free advertising by posting here, maybe he (or she) is smart enough to be my accountant.
              That was how I ended up with InTouch - I contacted Clare and also Alan@NW and got better responses (including an almost immediate response from Clare on a Saturday afternoon) and the rest is history
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Stupid is harsh - many accountants provide the service to pay your VAT / Tax as well as submit your accounts - Upton was a registered accountant. Even in my team of 8 contractors who sit around me, a couple have there accountants pay and submit everything.
                He was also highly recommended.

I came very close to picking him when I started out. Very glad that I didn't.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Harsh, but fair. This can easily be avoided.

In this case, my accountant says "you owe HMRC - pay it to account 12345678". While it probably wouldn't cross my mind that they are trying to fleece me, when I make the transfer, I'm going to look up "how to pay corporation tax" and pay to those details. I'll also check my HMRC account to see that it's been received and that nothing is owed.

Personally, I'm not trusting anyone else with access to my bank account. I'm not paying any bill worth thousands unless I'm absolutely sure I know who the recipient is.

This is beside the point anyway - why should HMRC foot the bill for someone's crime? It's a tulip situation, and I do have sympathy with the victims of fraud. But HMRC aren't a compensation scheme for them.

Comment

Sailing a bit close to the managed service legislation that. As well as being open to abuse/fraud.

Comment

Absolutely, control of banking is a major hallmark for MSC's.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X