• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Illegal" Dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I keep a few k of retained profit kicking around in the business account so that I don't need to worry about this sort of thing.
    That would be the commons sense thing to do wouldn't it. I do hear if the odd person here and there that can and do empty their accountants somehow but a large percentage of them run in to accounting problems like this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I'd have bailed out of this thread if were you by now
      I doubt it. I think you sit there thinking "Why do I keep posting?" "Why do I waste my life on this pointless chat line? I should be doing work for my client"

Me - I'm weak and lacking moral fibre. But I don't pretend to be anything else.

I'll change my avatar. Shame - I quite liked that one.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        I will try......

Ok, the 1100 is reported by your accounting package. I will therefore assume that this represents the distributable funds that are sloshing around, be they generate this year, or over time.

You pay 1000 dividend on Jan 1. I will also assume you have the meeting to vote them, they are properly documented etc. Then so far so good. You now have £100 of distributable reserves.

On the 2nd Jan 500 quid is paid.

This is the oopsy moment. Was that liability in the accounts ? I assume not, if it was it should have been accounted for in the reserves figure.

If it was not in the accounts should it have been ? Possibly. But that depends what is was, was the liability known about ? Is it for consumption of something ? If so then it was a known liability.

The point really being that it is not simply the cash position. It is the overall accrual based accounting position that matters.

So, if the 500 was expected then the dividends was probably "illegal". I'd prefer the term ill judged.

If it wasn't then no real problem. Though probably still ill judged.

Unauthorised dividends are a mess and you have been given guidance. They do not magically turn into a directors loan (what I can say is that if they are even capable of being reclassified then there is probably a shortage of documentation or some false accounting going on).

What actually results in distributable profits is the subject of a few hundred pages of industry guidance; but I think you should be able to rely on the free agent figure.

Provided you have not breached you fiduciary duty by failing to enter accrued liabilities or readjusting.

Sure, it is entirely possible to get a 500 liability you were unaware of. But 10k, that's a stretch.

Re4ally your question could be phrased as "FreeAgent tells me I have got £1100 I can pay as a dividend, but I haven't told it about all the liabilities, can I still rely on this figure".
        Thanks ASB - it was only a hypothetical question, there's no ulterior motive I just thought it was an interesting potential situation after reading up a bit on dividends. I think I agree with you that there shouldn't be any (big) "shock" liabilities in for a contractor
        Last edited by pr1; 19 January 2016, 13:28. Reason: +(big)

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          only a hypothetical question
          The interesting type of hypothetical question that a lot of people might be thinking about in the first few days of April 2016, when everyone wants to get max dividends in before the start of the new tax year.

Comment

That would be the commons sense thing to do wouldn't it. I do hear if the odd person here and there that can and do empty their accountants somehow but a large percentage of them run in to accounting problems like this.
            Absolutely. I don't have time to fine-tune dividend amounts / cash flows to the extent described in the OP.

Comment

And isn't that someone else's avatar? HINT
              I miss him. He was a trucking legend.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X