• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wife shareholding increase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife shareholding increase

I have had my ltd company since 2011 on a 20% shareholding for my wife
    I plan to increase this to 50%

Is there a problem with this?
    Do I need to be aware of anything towards this

Originally posted by MaxyContr View Post

It shouldn't be a problem, you just need to inform Companies House of the new share distribution. Your accountant should be able to advise on the correct forms to complete.

Gory details here:

https://www.gov.uk/make-changes-to-y...hare-structure
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Talk to your accountant about it; there can be implications.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

No problem, unless you get divorced in the future.
        Then the shareholding has the potential to end up 100% your wife's.

HTH.

BIDI.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          No problem, unless you get divorced in the future.
          Then the shareholding has the potential to end up 100% your wife's.

HTH.

BIDI.
          I quite often see this raised, but OI'm not sure it is entirely relevant. At the end of the day it is all marital property irrespective of nominal ownership anyway.

Of course it can complicate the settlement process, should that be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            I quite often see this raised, but OI'm not sure it is entirely relevant. At the end of the day it is all marital property irrespective of nominal ownership anyway.

Of course it can complicate the settlement process, should that be necessary.
            True, I must admit, on this occasion, I was slightly pulling the OPs chain
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Messing about with shareholding too often is going to make you a target for HMRC. If you plan on upping it to 50% because she is inbetween jobs and plan on reducing it again in the short term future then I wouldn't. If this is a permanent change and don't expect to be making any further changes then fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by NCOTBAC View Post
                Messing about with shareholding too often is going to make you a target for HMRC. If you plan on upping it to 50% because she is inbetween jobs and plan on reducing it again in the short term future then I wouldn't. If this is a permanent change and don't expect to be making any further changes then fair enough.
                Further to this, if she's company secretary and you're managing director then it shouldn't be a 50/50 split; as I said earlier, OP should speak to their accountant.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                X