• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving and mortgages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving and mortgages

I am currently 1.5 years into a 5 year fixed term mortgage.

If I wanted to move house, I'd have to keep my mortgage or incur a large penalty.

However, I imagine that buying a new house would involve some kind of mortgage-review or adjustment cos the new house would have a different price etc. to the current one. As I've only been contracting for less than a year, I suspect the bank wouldn't give me a new mortgage.

Does anyone know what my options might be, other than waiting for 3.5 more years? Is there any legislation in place to allow you to escape the fixed term clause in a situation that the bank is unable to offer you a new suitable mortgage, or am I scuppered?
    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

What does your contract say?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Who is the mortgage with?

When you move, although you can port your existing mortgage product to the new property, you would indeed be reassessed for affordability based on your new circumstances. If the new property requires a bigger mortgage, then the difference between your existing mortgage and the new one would require a current product.

If your mortgage provider doesn't accept you (i.e. they aren't contractor friendly, or you don't meet their lending criteria) but another provider will then you would need to pay the early redemption charge to get out of your existing one.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        Who is the mortgage with?

When you move, although you can port your existing mortgage product to the new property, you would indeed be reassessed for affordability based on your new circumstances. If the new property requires a bigger mortgage, then the difference between your existing mortgage and the new one would require a current product.

If your mortgage provider doesn't accept you (i.e. they aren't contractor friendly, or you don't meet their lending criteria) but another provider will then you would need to pay the early redemption charge to get out of your existing one.
        +1 I had exactly this, my mortgage is made up of 2 separate loans, I was permie when I did move though so was able to continue with my original lender.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          What does your contract say?
          Rather mean but when I took out a longer fix the mortgage provider told me at least 3 times verbally plus in their documentation in decent sized print, what I needed to do if I want to move during the term.

Some now use the portability of their 5+ years fixes as a selling point.

Simply as no mortgage provider wants to end up in another mis-selling scandal like they had with endowment mortgages.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not mean.. It's tongue in cheek..

Am surprised at the comments about porting to more expensive houses though. Something must have changed because this was a no no awhile back. You couldn't have two products against one asset even if it was the same lender. It would make sense if the it's the same lender and the house is worth more than the two mortgages but I'm sure that's how it used to be.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Am surprised at the comments about porting to more expensive houses though. Something must have changed because this was a no no awhile back. You couldn't have two products against one asset even if it was the same lender. It would make sense if the it's the same lender and the house is worth more than the two mortgages but I'm sure that's how it used to be.
              Nope, we did the same some 17 years ago. The mortgage was made up of two parts with different interest rates.

Comment

Are you sure and have you asked your mortgage adviser?!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Nope, we did the same some 17 years ago. The mortgage was made up of two parts with different interest rates.
                  We had similar when we moved here 13 years ago - one mortgage was ported from YBS and then a top-up mortgage for the balance of the house. They were at the same rate though.

I still have the mortgage account, but with a zero balance - just in case I need yo do something daft like buy another church...
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

When I got my mortgage I was earning a lot less than I am now as a contractor. I got my mortgage with Santander. I could ask the mortgage broker for his opinion I suppose, but I suspect I'd at least need a year of accounts or whatever so would probably have to wait until December at the earliest anyway. Cheers for the advice
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                    X