• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing my company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing my company

Hi, apologies for the ignorance of this post, however I'm a little confused with my current predicament.

I was offered a contracting role late last year so I created a limited company however I decided against it and declined the offer. I'm getting a bit sick of all the spam and constant identity theft junk that is coming through and I don't really want the rigmarole of sending in documents to HMRC every year whilst I'm happy employed by another company.

I'd like to close my company; I bought no assets, didn't trade, nor received any payments. Is it just as simple as striking this off using DS01 or do I need to do anything else? I have never submit anything to HMRC

Thank you!

116 views and no helpful accountant to give a quick bit of advice here? IANAA and not got time to look it up, anyone know this one off the top of their heads?

Comment

Complete a DS01 and submit to companies house. Write to HMRC tell them you haven't traded and to close down ct record.

Comment

Hi Christopher,

If you did not register for any taxes (VAT, PAYE etc) and you do not have an active company bank account, then yes, simply submit the DS01.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...y-dormant.html

Comment

Closing a Ltd company that hasn't traded | UK Business Forums

Closing down a Ltd company that has never traded | UK Business Forums

Closing a Limited Company that has never traded | UK Business Forums

https://www.1stformations.co.uk/blog...company/#Part2

and so on....

There was the following bit advice on one of the other threads about this that was interesting as well.. From Greg@Capitalcity just in case it's not needed

The other thing I would suggest alongside Clare's comment, is to write a letter to your Corporation Tax office to advise them the company never traded and will shortly be struck off the Companies House register. When a company is formed, the HMRC will auto set it up for Corporation Tax - you should have received a letter (posted to the registered office address) from the HMRC with your company tax reference number on it - use that when writing to them.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherJames View Post
              Hi, apologies for the ignorance of this post, however I'm a little confused with my current predicament.

I was offered a contracting role late last year so I created a limited company however I decided against it and declined the offer. I'm getting a bit sick of all the spam and constant identity theft junk that is coming through and I don't really want the rigmarole of sending in documents to HMRC every year whilst I'm happy employed by another company.

I'd like to close my company; I bought no assets, didn't trade, nor received any payments. Is it just as simple as striking this off using DS01 or do I need to do anything else? I have never submit anything to HMRC

Thank you!
              Probably the most important thing (that no one appears to have mentioned) is you may want to change your registered office and service address before you submit the DS01. That way, at least your home address will be slightly more hidden and harder for fraudsters to find. If you don't do this, your home address will always appear on the Companies House website and all those other websites that use data from Companies House.

Comment

Thank you, all, for your helpful advice.

I've spoken to a few people and there seems to be no real benefit to closing down the company and I should just do the submission of accounts online for £13 and just fill in the self assessment which is rather small.

Keeping in dormant then is just a matter of paying each year for the submission of accounts.

Comment

Keeping in dormant then is just a matter of paying each year for the submission of accounts.
                  https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...unts_dca_2.pdf

Maybe worth submitting the dormant accounts using the form above (given there is no activity in the company).

Comment

Thank you, all, for your helpful advice.

I've spoken to a few people and there seems to be no real benefit to closing down the company and I should just do the submission of accounts online for £13 and just fill in the self assessment which is rather small.

If you think you'll use it in the future then yes keep it going, however most accountants offer free formation and can have the company ready within a week, so may not be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                    X