• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it a Accidental/Careless/Deliberate Mistake ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a Accidental/Careless/Deliberate Mistake ?

I have several clients who I invoice on a monthly billing cycle.

The work I do, involves giving my clients a lifetime licence to use my work (I retain the IP rights)

There a was particular piece of work which one client wanted to own the IP outright and we negotiated a separate fee and drew up a separate contract for it.

I entered it into my spreadsheet, but failed to declare it (SS only summed the 3 monthly invoices in that quarter and missed the last one) and I missed it at the time as the amount due was around the normal amount.

The underpayment was £4k, do I need to fill in VAT652 ? My accountant seems to think so.

It didn't take long to find this, did you Google it?

https://www.gov.uk/vat-corrections/adjustments

Not deliberate, less than £10k, correct it on your next return (assuming not from more than 4 years ago).

Why does your accountant think you need to report it?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      It didn't take long to find this, did you Google it?

https://www.gov.uk/vat-corrections/adjustments

Not deliberate, less than £10k, correct it on your next return (assuming not from more than 4 years ago).

Why does your accountant think you need to report it?
      Yeah I came across the link, there doesn't seem to be much clarification out there between what constitutes an accidental and a careless mistake.

Not sure why my accountant thinks I need to report it.

Comment

Originally posted by scrollock View Post
        Yeah I came across the link, there doesn't seem to be much clarification out there between what constitutes an accidental and a careless mistake.

It seems pretty clear that a VAT652 form is only needed for deliberate errors or those that don't meet the other criteria.

However the above page does also say:

You should tell HMRC about careless errors separately in writing, as well as adjusting your current VAT Return. This may lead to a reduction in the penalty.
        Your error was arguably careless, but not deliberate, so it may be worth informing HMRC in writing about the error as well as correcting on your next VAT return, as it says above. I'd be surprised if there is any penalty but there may be some interest.

Why don't you give the VAT department a ring and clarify with them what they want?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          It seems pretty clear that a VAT652 form is only needed for deliberate errors or those that don't meet the other criteria.

However the above page does also say:

Your error was arguably careless, but not deliberate, so it may be worth informing HMRC in writing about the error as well as correcting on your next VAT return, as it says above. I'd be surprised if there is any penalty but there may be some interest.

Why don't you give the VAT department a ring and clarify with them what they want?

+1 good advice here
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by scrollock View Post

Forward that link to your accountant - I'd imagine he knows why it needs reporting and at a guess it's partly to save you any problems. Are you sure you're cut out to be an accountant?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
            X