• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

total newbie - accounting costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer a couple of the OP's points, yes you're being shafted at £150 plus VAT. Who are you using now? Most of the contractor accountants on here will "hand hold" a new bloke to a greater or lesser degree anyway without charging that kind of fee. CUK and IPSE to name just two, have good first timer guides. Regarding software look seriously at FreeAgent.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by cjonline View Post
      What I meant is that I wanted the full package at first until I learned what is required for the company then try do more myself.

I suppose what I'm really asking is that is £150+vat a rip off .. should I look elsewhere? I've looked on these forums and seen mixed advice on who to go to for accountancy. I suppose what I'm looking for is the maximum amount of work/advice offloaded to accountant for the minimum of spend.
      It most certainly is. Not only will you save money by shopping around but you will find some of them offer portals and the like that gives you much more visibility and control but still having the professional at the end of the phone.

Am happy to give Gorilla Accounting a plug who I use who are around 89 quid and you get access to freeagent which allows you track all sorts and do your own VAT, Payroll etc submissions. Learnt more from that than when I was at SJD who did it in the background.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What I meant is that I wanted the full package at first until I learned what is required for the company then try do more myself.

I suppose what I'm really asking is that is £150+vat a rip off .. should I look elsewhere? I've looked on these forums and seen mixed advice on who to go to for accountancy. I suppose what I'm looking for is the maximum amount of work/advice offloaded to accountant for the minimum of spend.
        You may be able to make a decent saving doing your own paye. Discuss service levels etc with your chosen provider.

But; the vast bulk of the work is not really dependant upon what you do or do not do.

If you do all your bookkeeping and present your accountants with trail balance nominal etc they still have to do all the end of year stuff. This is likely in most cases to represent a good proportion of the overall fees so even doing nearly all of it yourself won't produce a huge saving.

In much the same way as if you are not working for 6 months it is not going to make much difference (some accountants may be more charitable than others in this area of course).

What you are buying is an annual service not a monthly service. It just so happens that a lot of accountants will allow you to split payment into instalments.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          To answer a couple of the OP's points, yes you're being shafted at £150 plus VAT. Who are you using now? Most of the contractor accountants on here will "hand hold" a new bloke to a greater or lesser degree anyway without charging that kind of fee. CUK and IPSE to name just two, have good first timer guides. Regarding software look seriously at FreeAgent.
          1st-option.co.uk

Comment

from reading through these replies it looks like my agency (parity) have really pulled a fly one here. probably getting a nice wager from my accountant for recommending them

Comment

To be honest, if you're on £300 a day at least, paying an extra £50 a month to stay completely squeaky clean is worth it. The accountants should be able to advise you on the most tax efficient way of getting money out of your Ltd Co as well as the best practices to follow to help yourself stay outside investigation. Listen to them - they're paid to keep up with the latest tax laws, etc.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

£150 + VAT a month seems rather high to me, Nixon Williams (like most) charge a bit less than that, around £100+ Vat, I'd have to look it up to be sure. I'd call their service all inclusive and comprehensive for that fee.
                As to who to go for, there's plenty of recommendations on CUK and plenty of very good accountants available that understand contractors.

Comment

from reading through these replies it looks like my agency (parity) have really pulled a fly one here. probably getting a nice wager from my accountant for recommending them
                  Without a doubt. Never let an agent guide your business decisions. All they care is about their bottom line. Your welfare wont matter a jot to them and won't help you for free so you can better your bottom dollar this recommendation makea them money.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for naming them so the search engines can find the thread. Firstly, there is no need to pay more to be "compliant" you'll get that from any good accountant. I see your current firm offers three levels of service between £75 and £150 a month. Unfortunately, despite loads of ticks and crosses, the website won't show me what the different levels involve. Despite you wanting a "full service", be careful there are limits on what the accountant can do or else the MSC legislation could apply.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                      Thanks for naming them so the search engines can find the thread. Firstly, there is no need to pay more to be "compliant" you'll get that from any good accountant. I see your current firm offers three levels of service between £75 and £150 a month. Unfortunately, despite loads of ticks and crosses, the website won't show me what the different levels involve. Despite you wanting a "full service", be careful there are limits on what the accountant can do or else the MSC legislation could apply.
                      thanks, I think once I'm confident I'm set up correctly for PAYE etc, I'll move to another more cost effective firm.

regards,

Comment

Working...
                      X