• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exclusivity email (Newbie)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply with "I agree to be represented at company xyz for role abc provided my CV is put forward".

You should only be represented for each role.

And sometimes agents can only put forward 3 CVs. They will try to represent others to make sure other agents cannot put them forward!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      ...and include the specific role they are talking about.
      +1 for me and arguably more important than the time limit.

Also add the clause "subject to xxxxx agency being on the client's preferred supplier list"
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Another vote for "this specific role" and "only if my CV is forwarded".

Sometimes clients will say only two CVs please. Sometimes an agent will send their two and then see you.

So they think, hmm, I don't want another agent to get this person and then they get the gig instead of one of my two. So they email/call and say yes your CV is great, I'll sort you out, just sign this. So you're happy thinking great, might get this gig, when in reality CV has just gone in the bin and agent is happy because its less competition for his contractors.

Happens all the time. Even if an agent tells me they've put me forward and another calls me I'll tell the truth but tell them any way to check and you find out I've not been out forward go for it, its all yours.

Happened the other week. One agency swore blind they had. Client had a portal which needed DOB and NI number. 2nd agency came along and said we cant submit to portal if its already been done.

So I said go for it and try if you like. They did - I hadnt been submitted yet. They got me an interview.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Another vote for "this specific role" and "only if my CV is forwarded".

Sometimes clients will say only two CVs please. Sometimes an agent will send their two and then see you.

So they think, hmm, I don't want another agent to get this person and then they get the gig instead of one of my two. So they email/call and say yes your CV is great, I'll sort you out, just sign this. So you're happy thinking great, might get this gig, when in reality CV has just gone in the bin and agent is happy because its less competition for his contractors.

Happens all the time. Even if an agent tells me they've put me forward and another calls me I'll tell the truth but tell them any way to check and you find out I've not been out forward go for it, its all yours.

Happened the other week. One agency swore blind they had. Client had a portal which needed DOB and NI number. 2nd agency came along and said we cant submit to portal if its already been done.

So I said go for it and try if you like. They did - I hadnt been submitted yet. They got me an interview.
          Sounded such a good story until then.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Interesting posts, always learning here.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkee21 View Post
              Morning All

I'm just beginning my journey into the contracting world and have started speaking to agencies about some potential interviews.

This morning I've received an email from one agency who are keen to put me forward for one.

Before they can do this though they want me to copy and paste the following confirmation email and send it back.....

Seems a bit harsh and I find it hard to believe this would stand-up legally but looking at some old threads on the forum I've come across this one which seems to have some good suggestions.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1492470

Is the boilerplate response still the way to go with this kind of situation?

I'm also still to set-up my limited company on the basis that I don't have a gig yet. How does this stand if I put myself forward as an individual?

Thanks
              James
              Good, you've learnt not to give the agent open ended exclusivity. I certainly wouldnt agree with their statement of 'vacancies at the client' as that implies the exclusivity is not just for this role.

Make it absolutely clear exclusivity is conditional on;

confirmation your cv is submitted to the client (else exclusivity ends)
              and that this confirmation is time limited to a maximum 72 hours from the time of your email.

If agent cannot or will not comply with this, tell them thanks but no thanks, even if they say they are the only preferred supplier.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I'm so glad I posted this now as it's certainly been an eye opener and learning curve for me. Thank you all!

I sent the email off at 14:00 today with the boilerplate along with a statement that the mention of my name was for the purpose of this mail and subject to change once the limited company is setup.

I've not had a response but I've given them 24 hours to confirm the CV has been submitted. I guess I'm more strict Bolshie .

On a side note this got me thinking and I was wondering if it was fair game to phone the client and ask who is on the preferred list for this particular job?

Can I verify they're on it, as a freedom of information request perhaps, and if this falls could I then contact another agency on that list?

Thanks again
                James

Comment

Let me throw a curve ball in as nothing is black and white. You can tick the boxes to start bit it all goes on at times. A certain financial client in West Yorks uses one of the more well known agents who has dibs on you if you've ever applied. Applied for a gig through them and got put forward for interview bit cancelled. I applied for another one later in the year through a smaller agent who called me back saying the first agent had dibs. First one wasn't even advertising the role. Spoke to all concerned including the client who just said that's the way it was. Bit fair on the smaller agent who seemed pretty good.

Things aren't always black and white. Just have to keep your wits about you and play the game.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On a side note this got me thinking and I was wondering if it was fair game to phone the client and ask who is on the preferred list for this particular job?

Can I verify they're on it, as a freedom of information request perhaps, and if this falls could I then contact another agency on that list?
                    You can only ask the client questions once you have some sort of relationship with them. This normally happens when they have interviewed you, and you need to be discrete. As while some clients enforce the clause, others don't care as long as they don't know and some others are clueless about the tricks agencies use. In the last two cases if they know don't expect to get that contract.

Also be aware that some clients don't play fair either as they put agencies up against each other. For example they use 10-12 different agencies pretending to recruit for a couple of roles simply because they want to see what they can get for their money if they had a role available. Then when they have a role available they advertise direct. Alternatively they fill the position internally, or withdraw it completely as there isn't actually a budget for the role.

Finally I've had similar to PC a few times. It's more amusing when you get on-site and discover the agent who phoned you up first, while also on the PSL, sent in other CVs the client binned. The first agent didn't actually listen to the client saying they wanted someone who also has particular soft skills as well as the technical skills.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've a few recommendations on accountants so I'll start getting in touch.
                      And very good they are too - intouchaccounting.com

(Tell them I sent you!)

Comment

Working...
                      X