• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NI calculations with foreign income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NI calculations with foreign income

Hi folks.

I know that you'll tell me to ask an accountant, but I will ask here anyway.

How to calculate NI contributions when I have an income from another EU country?

I know how to calculate income tax. This time I only ask about NI.

Are you a Ltd company? Is your foreign work through a UK agency?
    If the answer is yes to both, then:
    https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-nat...nsurance-rates

If you are not a limited company or your agent is not UK based, then the minimum would be class 2.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I assume you're an employee of that EU company, otherwise it would be a strange question. If so, see here:

PAYE20120 - Employer records: set up employer record: NI scheme - national insurance only

Comment

Thanks for answers.

The situation is like that: I'm a director of UK LTD company. But I also got some money from abroad. It's unrelated to the UK company, also UK agencies were not involved.

I'm not an employee of that foreign company, nothing to my knowledge.

I got that money directly from the foreign company. Monies were taxed abroad with the local rate, but NI were not deducted not there nor in UK (makes sense, right?).

Now I know that I have to declare all my income, including the foreign monies. I know that I have to tax them in UK and I know that I can deduce the foreign tax. Basically: I know how to calculate income tax.

What I don't know is how to calculate NI. From WTFH answer I guess I should treat it as if I were a director and self-employed at the same time, right? Director's NI from director's wage, self-employed NI from foreign income. Is that correct?

I will ask the accountant, but please give me some general advice so I know they're making sense.

Comment

Originally posted by pork commando View Post
          Thanks for answers.

The situation is like that: I'm a director of UK LTD company. But I also got some money from abroad. It's unrelated to the UK company, also UK agencies were not involved.

I'm not an employee of that foreign company, nothing to my knowledge.

I got that money directly from the foreign company. Monies were taxed abroad with the local rate, but NI were not deducted not there nor in UK (makes sense, right?).

Now I know that I have to declare all my income, including the foreign monies. I know that I have to tax them in UK and I know that I can deduce the foreign tax. Basically: I know how to calculate income tax.

What I don't know is how to calculate NI. From WTFH answer I guess I should treat it as if I were a director and self-employed at the same time, right? Director's NI from director's wage, self-employed NI from foreign income. Is that correct?

I will ask the accountant, but please give me some general advice so I know they're making sense.
          Oh, in that case, yes, it's effectively self-employed income, separate from YourCo, which you'll need to include in your SATR at year-end, and you may be able to offset any withholding tax paid at source. In future, I'd suggest you invoice through YourCo unless there's a very good reason not to do so. Obviously, I don't know any of the context (residency etc.), so check with your accountant, but it will need to be included in your SATR.

Comment

In future, I'd suggest you invoice through YourCo unless there's a very good reason not to do so.
            I will, but why is it better?

Comment

A variety of reasons. For example, you're working through a structure with limited liability, you can choose how to take (or not take) the proceeds as personal income in a given tax year, and you should be able to avoid any withholding at source (although this depends on the nature of the withholding tax).

Comment

Mostly to make it simpler on administration.

Comment

Working...
                X