• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

fund another company from your LTD profit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fund another company from your LTD profit

Hello! I've got a question for the community.
    I am operating as a 1 person LTD IT consultancy.
    Recently I got involved into an online retail business as a side project with few other people. I run website and do all IT related stuff.
    So I have to spend on hosting, marketing etc + my own time.
    Also we have big spending on goods purchase, logistics etc.., basically non-it costs.
    For all spending: IT and non-IT I have to take money out of my company as dividends.

Is there a way for me to use my company money for this business? maybe as an investment.

Andy

Originally posted by ako View Post
    Hello! I've got a question for the community.
    I am operating as a 1 person LTD IT consultancy.
    Recently I got involved into an online retail business as a side project with few other people. I run website and do all IT related stuff.
    So I have to spend on hosting, marketing etc + my own time.
    Also we have big spending on goods purchase, logistics etc.., basically non-it costs.
    For all spending: IT and non-IT I have to take money out of my company as dividends.

Is there a way for me to use my company money for this business? maybe as an investment.

Andy
    you could make it a loan which msy achieve what you require.

Comment

Sometimes... Just sometimes..... Doing a search to find information on the forums is not a good idea

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...companies.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Sometimes... Just sometimes..... Doing a search to find information on the forums is not a good idea

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...companies.html
        Sound advice from Mr Upton!

Comment

Thank you very much! I've been through first few pages of the search results, maybe my request wasn't precise enough, but I didn't see that thread.

Loan is the first thing that come to my mind as well. What about if the startup won't get any profit and won't be able to repay the loan?

I am genuinely worried if I get stuck with bunch of stuff which I just can't sell or something gets damaged or any other reason for business to go down.

Andy

Comment

Thank you very much! I've been through first few pages of the search results, maybe my request wasn't precise enough, but I didn't see that thread.

Loan is the first thing that come to my mind as well. What about if the startup won't get any profit and won't be able to repay the loan?

I am genuinely worried if I get stuck with bunch of stuff which I just can't sell or something gets damaged or any other reason for business to go down.

Andy
            Well, those risks need to be taken into account in what you price the loan at. In the event of the loan becoming irrecoverable and written off then this should produce a loss which can be reclaimed against future corporation tax so that will at least provide 20% relief. However you will need to verify that in your circumstances that it will generate relief. Your involvement in the retail business may mean it doesn't.

You could also consider cash for equity investment.

If you are worried about the downside then perhaps you might want to reconsider your involvement; only you know your risk profile. But there isn't a magic way to make that risk go away.

You may want to consider the form the loan takes, with security over assets, or as a debenture or some other form of senior note. At least you might be able to engineer your self to be first in the queue rather than just a general creditor, though of course this will tend to impact of the ability of the business to raise other finance since it will change the risk profile to any other lender.

Comment

Thank you! In other words if I run 2 businesses the only way to use profit from one business in another business is:
              1) to give it a loan
              2) by taking money out from the 1 business as dividends and investing into second one as a personal funds

Is it correct understanding?

Andy

Comment

Thank you! In other words if I run 2 businesses the only way to use profit from one business in another business is:
                1) to give it a loan
                2) by taking money out from the 1 business as dividends and investing into second one as a personal funds

Is it correct understanding?

Andy
                What did your accountant say?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My accountant suggested a loan as well and avoids going into further discussions
                  Maybe I need some finance consultant, but situation doesn't look to me like very rare. Lots of people must have got multiple small businesses, unfortunately I don't know any in person.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X