• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retaining accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retaining accounts

Does anyone know how long should a full service accountant keep your invoices and expenses and annual accounts for? Much thanks in advance

Mind me asking why? The answer may not help the fundamental problem.... If indeed there is one..
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I believe this may answer your question though....
      http://m.accountingweb.co.uk/article...ed-know/556199

Comment

Originally posted by luimneach2005 View Post
        Does anyone know how long should a full service accountant keep your invoices and expenses and annual accounts for? Much thanks in advance
        WTF!? My accountant 'gives'me back all my docs when I go to sign off the accounts.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          WTF!? My accountant 'gives'me back all my docs when I go to sign off the accounts.
          This. That's why I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Mine doesn't.

He does it when he brings them to me.

My advice on keeping is a minimum of 5 years but my personal approach is "until I die"
            I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

6 years plus the current year is the requirement.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

thanks folks

My accountant (who I setup with about 8 years back) has told me they only have paperwork back to 2011 - I thought it was 6 years minimum. Miffed as I had informed them back in earl 2010 of a disk crash and was told they retained them anyway. Now that I need them I've found out that's not the case

Comment

Maybe a lesson in document management. It's your company so ultimately your responsibility. I print mine out and bung them in the loft every two years. I have a working copy and a cloud backup. Sorted.

Comment

Working...
                  X