• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

12 Month Maximum for Contractors - Client Rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 Years!!! That's pretty much their whole working lives
    Yep, they booted him out, to great fanfare, but then had to invite him back a couple of weeks later "to fix things" .

Certainly one would get bored after that length of time - I couldn't imagine working in one place for more than a few years, regardless of the money.
    2 year rule at current client co.
    Will be departing a long running one in January, now I have got a mate in to hand over to. It will be 3 years 2 months, by that point, although the initial term was through a consultancy.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Common. One client I worked at had this rule and there was no way of getting out of it EVER. Ended up a bit silly.

Worse one was this. Worked with guy for outsourcing company at a client site. He'd worked for outsourcing company about 5 years ago at a completely different site, been made redundant, and done a few contract gigs since. Then of course came back to a totally different site.

When his old manager found out, they told him they couldnt do that because it would make the permies think they could leave and come back as contractors. So they didn't renew him.

Bit harsh- the poor bugger had been made redundant by them in the first place and then had done a few gigs so he'd hardly left friday as permie and come back as a contractor.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't want to stay anywhere too long as the project would be garbage. Get in, get something delivered (max 2 years), get out.

Crazy rules that cannot be broken can prevent progress; an exception process is a sensible thing, especially for regulatory projects in banking and similar projects in other industries.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Bit harsh- the poor bugger had been made redundant by them in the first place and then had done a few gigs so he'd hardly left friday as permie and come back as a contractor.
          Poor bugger? He gets a lump some for escaping permiedom and then goes contracting. I'd say he's fallen on his feet. So one client won't take him on. Oh woe is him....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Poor bugger? He gets a lump some for escaping permiedom and then goes contracting. I'd say he's fallen on his feet. So one client won't take him on. Oh woe is him....
            There is that of course. :-)

I felt the client was cutting they're nose off to spite their face a little here though. This fella had worked as perm for 20 years so had a lot of knowledge.

Of course, possibly some permie has whinged about it and that was the end of it.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              There is that of course. :-)

I felt the client was cutting they're nose off to spite their face a little here though. This fella had worked as perm for 20 years so had a lot of knowledge.

Of course, possibly some permie has whinged about it and that was the end of it.
              To be fair I don't think it's a bad policy. I've worked at a client where a majority of contractors are ex employees.. A couple of them have never worked anywhere else. It's an IR35 honey pot for HMRC. Client wants to sack whoever let this policy run as they have the same number of heads, just they are nearly all contractors now... Saying that they run LTDs and go through an agent if you get my meaning. They've got all the same crap people, just as contractors.

That said it depends on a few contracts. That could just be 9 months and he's back which is too soon to be totally disconnected from your ex employer.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                To be fair I don't think it's a bad policy. I've worked at a client where a majority of contractors are ex employees.They've got all the same crap people, just as contractors.
                OMG.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

HP had a 2 year limit for contractors when I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    HP had a 2 year limit for contractors when I was there.
                    Which I personally think is the correct limit.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by whatif View Post
                      Anyone heard about a 52 week maximum rule for contractors at Citi?

My contract is ending due to the rule, but I had no idea that it was in place, nor it seems do many staff, and my agency didn't mention it. Just wondered if it was widely known or not. Apparently its always been in place.
                      Bank of America had this. One project I worked on they had to get dispensation as the project was scheduled to go on for 14 months.

They've since changed it to 18 months then you must have 6 weeks away before you can come back.

Dont see what the beef is with some 'contractors.' Must think they're quasi permies!
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X