• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Antivirus software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wouldn't require to buy it as a permie as your equipment and software would be supplied by your employer.

As a business it is a requirement. I'm sure your contracts have a clause regarding having up to date anti virus software etc.

As for multiple licenses these can be applied to all devices you use to deliver the contracted works whether it's for a simple task of emailing a word document to client as you are contractually required to have the software.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      I've had contracts in the past that stipulated that AV SW must be running on all PCs used for client work. I take that to mean it is an allowable business expense. The fact that my own PCs are connected to my work network at home leads me to consider them to be required to be covered as well...

Boo
      If you do work from them then yes they would. I'm no IT expert but if you didn't do work from them how could it affect the client? If they make the network open to attacks then should the be connected to a work network in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by sociopath View Post
        You wouldn't require to buy it as a permie as your equipment and software would be supplied by your employer.

As a business it is a requirement. I'm sure your contracts have a clause regarding having up to date anti virus software etc.

As for multiple licenses these can be applied to all devices you use to deliver the contracted works whether it's for a simple task of emailing a word document to client as you are contractually required to have the software.
        But he may still buy the same product for his home PC if he was a permie..
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You can put the charge for software for the work laptop through the accounts but not the family laptop.

Now if you had two work laptops some some software vendors give cheaper licencing if you have 3 computers.....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            But he may still buy the same product for his home PC if he was a permie..
            Then go by,

Accommodation, supplies or services (for example, office services and equipment, and consumables) used by the employee in performing his or her duties, where the following conditions are satisfied:
            • if the benefit is provided on or in the employer’s premises the only
            condition is that any use of the benefit for private purposes by the
            employee is not significant
            • if the benefit is provided elsewhere
            – the employer’s sole purpose in providing it must be to enable the employee to perform the duties of his or her employment, and �
            – any use of the benefit for private purposes by the employee is not
            significant, and
            – that the benefit is neither the provision of a motor vehicle, boat or
            aircraft, nor involves the extension, conversion or alteration of living accommodation or a building on land adjacent to it, or the construction of a building on such land

Comment

Originally posted by sociopath View Post
              – the employer’s sole purpose in providing it must be to enable the employee to perform the duties of his or her employment, and �
              – any use of the benefit for private purposes by the employee is not
              significant, and
              But again if he buys it for home anyway it would fail this...

But anyway.. Too much detail... It's gonna be a tough call for an inspector to pick on antivirus for an IT work so if you think you are OK then just claim it if you want to.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                But again if he buys it for home anyway it would fail this...
                Agreed as he's purposely buying it for home....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Pay for AV? Nope. Avast free.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Pay for AV? Nope. Avast free.
                    Cheapskate
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Feel like a bit of trolling this morning.

Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X