• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 year rule - what counts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 year rule - what counts?

Having read the sticky and a number of posts around the 24 month rule, I'm pretty clear on what counts and when you can no longer claim expenses.

My query is when does it start? If you move from a perm role to a contractor role, can you claim that your rent is a business expense? I own a house in Ireland where all the bills are in my name (it isn't let to anyone) so could I claim that is my home and I am commuting to London for work and therefore expense my flights etc? Or would the fact that my previous roles were also based in London count against me and therefore it's obvious that I haven't had to "move" for work.

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
    Having read the sticky and a number of posts around the 24 month rule, I'm pretty clear on what counts and when you can no longer claim expenses.

My query is when does it start? If you move from a perm role to a contractor role, can you claim that your rent is a business expense? I own a house in Ireland where all the bills are in my name (it isn't let to anyone) so could I claim that is my home and I am commuting to London for work and therefore expense my flights etc? Or would the fact that my previous roles were also based in London count against me and therefore it's obvious that I haven't had to "move" for work.
    Read the sticky again....

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post

Did you start at the beginning of the sticky?

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      How many more times....

a) It's about the journey, not the client and not why you are there

b) Go to the known (or anticipated) end date of your current gig.

c) Count back 24 months by the calendar.

d) If between those two dates you have spent less than 40% of your time at that location, the 24 month rule doesn't apply.

e) Reassess it weekly in case it changes to over 40%. As soon as it does the 24 month rules will apply.
      So, look at where you are travelling to and count back from there.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Read the sticky again....
        But properly this time..... and if you still have questions try posting them in the sticky...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I agree read the sticky.

That being said if you're going to claim your main residence is in Ireland yet you've lived in London for years as a permie then you are taking the mickey to the point where I would almost hope you're caught and violated by HMRC. It's people taking the p1ss like that which paints a target on contractors as a whole.

Comment

Working...
          X