• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Untimely Dismissal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Untimely Dismissal

Hi,

Just a quick note to see if anyone has any advice. I had been working for a company and my contract recently came to a natural end. Towards the end I had become concerned as to a number of things going on and after advice passed my concerns on to management. After I had finished my Senior Manager sent me an e-mail saying that I am effectively persona no grata.

thinking nothing of it I managed to get another contract with a different part of the company. What I have found out is that he has sent out e-mails saying that I was stirring and have found out today that my contract has been terminated on the basis of my original e-mail and that the rumours that he has put about.

I have effectively been blackballed by the two divisions of their company and am annoyed that the rumour has been put around regarding the content of the original e-mail.

Any ideas on whether I have any recourse?

???????

Originally posted by mattius
    Any ideas on whether I have any recourse?
    You have no recourse whatsoever. Find another contract with another company.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I suspect you have just learned a valuable lesson - not to get involved in the office politics of your client. "Stirring" is always a bad idea, even for a permie. For a contractor, it's suicidal.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Similar happened to me many moons ago. My contract was terminated by a PM who had taken over as my new PM. Who also didnt like me. We never hit it off from the beginning. He was a total ****** and one day I'll see him again

Anyway there was a 3 into 1 position going and I was terminated. The contractor left was new & inexperienced but as an older chap then stitched the new PM up for £500pd a rise of £150!!!!

Difference was though, managers in other parts wanted me to stay so I was given another role for more money elsewhere. I then applied for a senior role and was in the running until the end. The previous PM gave instructions for all passwords to be changed across the business to stop me having access but no-one would do it.

What a ******.

So tough. Nothing you can do as you are temp and they are perm. Live and learn.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You guys are probably right that it is does not pay to be professional and inform clients of Security breaches and such the like and just keep your head down and get the timesheet signed.

Comment

You don't have to keep your head down necessarily.

I am not a great fan of contractors who keep there mouths shut. God knows I dont, and to be honest I would be in a better position because of it. But if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, waddles like a duck then it's probably vapourware and you should stand up for it.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

There is an implicit "duty of care" where you are wrong not to report fraudulent or illegal behaviour. However, as a general rule, you are not part of the organisation so keep out of it.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

think it was
                Last edited by Ivor1; 6 October 2006, 13:50.

Comment

You have nothing to lose if you do try to redress things. At the moment you do not have a contract with them. You could contact the person who you were going to work for and they are not interested, you still won't have a contract, but you might feel a little better getting your side of the argument over.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Actually if you can prove

that you were terminated because of the intervention of a third party, who is besmirching your reputation without just cause you should be able to sue him for loss of earnings and loss of professional reputation.
                    Of course you're pretty well gonna **** off that client, but it seems that's happened anyway, and life is too short really.
                    Why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X