• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All sorts of trouble .... (Tax & VAT)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpdw View Post
    I've just read this thread and like others I really feel for the OP and hope he's getting things sorted - hope the holiday was good time-out from it and that you're gradually getting on top of the mess & sorting it out.

However easy it is to ignore reminders from accountants is one question but that pre-supposes the reminders were there & on time themselves. I moved accountants a few months ago partly because I found myself reminding the accountants rather than the other way around (one time waiting till the day of the VAT deadline just to see if they'd forgotten). 'Colleagues' with the same accountants had similar issues, on one occasion apparently incurring penalties as a result. So I can imagine that if someone is less inclined to chase the accountant, and the accountant isn't reminding the client either, it's too easy for things to have slipped by. Not an excuse, but its understandable how it happens.

I'll let you guess which firm this was.
    Bugger that wouldnt put up with an accountant like that.

Luckily, Im with NW who are superb and remind me rather than the other way around. They even notice mistakes in my expense forms I submit.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

So, what happened in the end? How was the holiday?

Comment

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
        So, what happened in the end? How was the holiday?
        Was great thanks...

Trying to negotiate with HMRC for the suspension of the remaining 3k of penalties.

And also trying to negotiate a payment plan on the VAT.

Still a bit up in the air, but I have control of things now so know exactly whats going on.

Comment

Well done for getting to the other side of this - still work to do by the sounds of it, but I'm pleased for you.

Comment

Dare I ask - has the mrs been sacked?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Dare I ask - has the mrs been sacked?
              Certainly from all areas of accounting !

Comment

Working...
              X