• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Limited - Client not in UK - contractor/director moving out of UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Limited - Client not in UK - contractor/director moving out of UK

Hi folks,

Has anyone here been in situation such as:
    - Limited company formed in UK
    - Director/Contractor - EU citizen - moving out to live in other EU country
    - Client not in UK

Can this work? Does anyone work like this?

I am not particularly worried about taxes as in I intend to acquire legal advice of local accountant and all the bells and whistles and only this I really care is to maintain UK Limited company and hopefully pay only UK corporate tax (personal tax will fall into local authorities I guess).

Any experiences? Tips?

Did anyone managed to maintain UK bank account with sole director living outside of UK?

Found few accounting/formation company that support no-UK residence to form limited companies and operate them from their own countries but not sure how reliable this information is.

You can use your Ltd but you need to register it in the country you're working in and pay taxes there, also corporate tax. You wouldn't then pay UK tax as there would be no profit in the UK, it would only be registered there. It's not necessarily the most tax efficient way to work in another EU country.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 June 2015, 06:48.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      You can use your Ltd but you need to register it in the country you're working in and pay taxes there, also corporate tax. You wouldn't then pay UK tax as there would be no profit in the UK, it would only be registered there. It's not necessarily the most tax efficient way to work in another EU country.
      And what would be the most efficient way?

I am considering opening equivalent of limited company at the destination but be simpler if i didn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by freeplatypus View Post
        I am considering opening equivalent of limited company at the destination but be simpler if i didn't have to.
        It all depends where you're going to be based, dude. There is not one answer.

But re your original question, yes, it is possible, and actually it is pretty common.
        There is no obligation to reside in the UK to be a director of a UK Ltd.
        Your Ltd's tax affairs and your personal tax affairs are two separate things.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by freeplatypus View Post

Your UK limited will become resident where management is genuinely exercised. And you will have a hard job arguing that is anything other than where you are working. In effect it will be treated in the same manner as any other company of the same structure.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            Your UK limited will become resident where management is genuinely exercised. And you will have a hard job arguing that is anything other than where you are working. In effect it will be treated in the same manner as any other company of the same structure.
            Hmmmm.... is it really that clear-cut?

INTM120210 - Company residence: guidance originally published in the International Tax Handbook

"Yet it has long been recognised that the residence of a company is determined according to where its central management and control is to be found. That is still so even though since 1988 a company incorporated in the United Kingdom is, with some exceptions, regarded as resident in the United Kingdom for the purposes of the Taxes Acts. That rule overrides but does not eliminate the test of central management and control. "

I'm not sure how to interpret the part highlighted above, to be honest.

Comment

Thanks all for responses. This seems to be either possible or impossible to arrange.

My accountant claims that this is not achievable. It might be that he is playing it safe.

Did anyone here actually pulled it off? As in:
              Client not in UK.
              Director not in UK.
              Business adress as virtual address in UK or non-UK (I was told HMRC doesnt like virtual office addresses).

Maybe someone knows and can recommend professional that specializes in these kind of problems. I am happy to pay for quality advice.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                But re your original question, yes, it is possible, and actually it is pretty common.
                There is no obligation to reside in the UK to be a director of a UK Ltd.
                Your Ltd's tax affairs and your personal tax affairs are two separate things.
                My accountant says that is not possible. I am genuinely confused now.

Comment

It is possible but your UK accountant won't be able to deal with it for you.

You need an accountant in the country you are living in and one where the client is.

Then you need to find one who knows about both UK and other country's/countries' company tax.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It is possible but your UK accountant won't be able to deal with it for you.
                    You need an accountant in the country you are living in and one where the client is.
                    Then you need to find one who knows about both UK and other country's/countries' company tax.
                    Correct....and good luck finding an accountant who "knows about both UK and other country's/countries' company tax":

1/ They are not many of them
                    2/ They will charge you an arm and a leg for this knowledge
                    3/ It is likely that they won't be interested in dealing with you, unless you are billing 1M per year. Just not worth their time and effort.

Cross-border tax is a minefield. You might want to stay away from the topic unless you really have to.

Comment

Working...
                    X