• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will I owe tax here on Personal earnings from another EU country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I owe tax here on Personal earnings from another EU country?

First time ever moving to UK (never earned or worked here). Have started a contract with insurance company in March and have now set up a ltd etc.

As I 'became a director' in the UK in the tax year April 14 - April 15 it is my understanding I will have to complete a self assessment tax form for that tax year. Also, taking tests online, it seems I am considered to be tax resident in the UK in that year (was in country for 90 days, although will not take a wage as per accountants advice).

In the time period April 14 - Dec 14 I worked in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Earned about €80k in this period. There is a 30% tax relief for expats there.
    My question is, now that I am considered tax resident for this period in UK can it be possible I will owe tax for that period here? (even though none of the work was done in the UK and I was never in the UK in that period).

I understand there is a tax treaty but that only avoids you paying 'double tax' as far as I understand. Can it be the case that I owe the UK some extra tax if their effective tax rate is higher here?

Yep.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No, you're not liable for tax for the time before you moved to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence

When you move in or out of the UK, the tax year is usually split into 2 - a non-resident part and a resident part. This means you only pay UK tax on foreign income based on the time you were living here. This is called ‘split-year treatment’.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
      X