• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing accountants - current accountant whacked me £200 fee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Changing accountants due to incompetence/too expensive. They are with-holding the transfer to another accountancy pending I pay a £200 transfer fee. I didn't sign anything agreeing to this but apparently it was in the Terms of engagement.

Is this normal? What is the going rate for a leaving an accountancy for another?

Thanks

Have you read your terms of engagement to see if it is in there?

If it is there and you are in dispute the page should help

http://www.contractoruk.com/limited_...ccountant.html
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16 March 2015, 21:57.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know of one firm that does this and it is because they are unregulated that they can charge a fee although most still wouldn't.

Also it is in their terms and conditions.

Comment

More advice on what to do in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by dcx View Post
          Hi,

Changing accountants due to incompetence/too expensive. They are with-holding the transfer to another accountancy pending I pay a £200 transfer fee. I didn't sign anything agreeing to this but apparently it was in the Terms of engagement.

Is this normal? What is the going rate for a leaving an accountancy for another?

Thanks
          Well if it was in the T&C's (you did \ have checked?) then you did sign agreeing to it.

If its in the T&C's, it doesnt matter what anyone here says, its due.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

We, like most contractor specific accountants, do not charge a fee to transfer to another accountant; however we charge a set monthly rate. If you use a local accountant that charges by the hour/phone call/email then they may bill you for the time spent in compiling records to transfer out – that’s up to them.

I can think of one particular contractor specific accountant that charges a transfer fee – they seem to pick up a lot of new business by paying large referrals to agencies but the subsequent service that they provide is often poor; as Kenny has suggested, the transfer fee is in their T&Cs. Whether they are regulated or not would not matter as no professional accountancy body would dictate the fees that can be charged to clients, nor would they get involved with a fee dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
              We, like most contractor specific accountants, do not charge a fee to transfer to another accountant; however we charge a set monthly rate. If you use a local accountant that charges by the hour/phone call/email then they may bill you for the time spent in compiling records to transfer out – that’s up to them.

I can think of one particular contractor specific accountant that charges a transfer fee – they seem to pick up a lot of new business by paying large referrals to agencies but the subsequent service that they provide is often poor; as Kenny has suggested, the transfer fee is in their T&Cs. Whether they are regulated or not would not matter as no professional accountancy body would dictate the fees that can be charged to clients, nor would they get involved with a fee dispute.
              It's not someone we recommend and sing the praises of? If not then it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It's not someone we recommend and sing the praises of? If not then it doesn't matter.
                I've done a quick search and they get slated on here quite a bit...they're not on your list of recommended accountants either, NLUK.

Comment

So your accountant whacked you off for £200

In surprised old timers fell for this one !!!
                  Last edited by tarbera; 17 March 2015, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
                    I can think of one particular contractor specific accountant that charges a transfer fee – they seem to pick up a lot of new business by paying large referrals to agencies but the subsequent service that they provide is often poor; as Kenny has suggested, the transfer fee is in their T&Cs.

Exactly how I came do be with them

thanks for the advice everyone

Comment

Working...
                    X