• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Frs cycle to work freeagent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frs cycle to work freeagent

Freeagent calculates my company's vat liability slightly incorrectly, this is because we have a salary sacrifice in place for a cycle to work scheme and the sacrifice is liable for vat.

Could anyone tell me which nominal accounts to credit/debit to correct the figures?

I think I need to increase "819 vat charged" account, but which account do I decrease?

Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Free Agent can handle salary sacrifice schemes, nothing I have done myself, but a quick Google showed me the way.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ1982 View Post
      Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Free Agent can handle salary sacrifice schemes, nothing I have done myself, but a quick Google showed me the way.
      It handles it in that it deducts the sacrifice from salary if yiou use the freeagent payroll (which I don't), but doesnt actually do anything with the VAT side of the salary sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        It handles it in that it deducts the sacrifice from salary if yiou use the freeagent payroll (which I don't), but doesnt actually do anything with the VAT side of the salary sacrifice
        Possibly I am confused, I am not sure why VAT is related to salary sacrifice...

The item is purchased from a 3rd party company, invoiced to YourCo, with VAT. This purchase is recorded on your company outgoings with VAT.

The salary sacrifice is deducted, presumably as a loan to employee. So a £600 bike would be deducted £50 pcm.

Comment

Maybe I am wrong... just found this...

Cycle 2 Work Scheme - how to account on Freeagent

Might be a "what does your accountant" say job

Comment

Originally posted by AJ1982 View Post
            Maybe I am wrong... just found this...

Cycle 2 Work Scheme - how to account on Freeagent

Might be a "what does your accountant" say job
            If I understand this right...YourCo buys the bike and then effectively hires it out to the employee - the hiring costs are paid for by the salary sacrifice but the hire cost is treated as a taxable supply by YourCo to the employee. So it needs to be included in your flat-rate turnover for VAT purposes?

I do think this is an ask your accountant question, but if my above understanding is correct, then possibly you could:

* Deal with the salary sacrifice by simply reducing the amount you pay the employee and run through the payroll
            * Create sales using journals to account for the taxable supply - this should add it to your VAT return turnover

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
              Freeagent calculates my company's vat liability slightly incorrectly, this is because we have a salary sacrifice in place for a cycle to work scheme and the sacrifice is liable for vat.

Could anyone tell me which nominal accounts to credit/debit to correct the figures?

I think I need to increase "819 vat charged" account, but which account do I decrease?

Thanks
              Hi, have you spoken to the FreeAgent support team ([email protected]) about this?

Thanks,

Jennie

Comment

Originally posted by Jennie Stamp View Post
                Hi, have you spoken to the FreeAgent support team ([email protected]) about this?

Thanks,

Jennie
                Yes, their less than helpful response was "ask your accountant"

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  If I understand this right...YourCo buys the bike and then effectively hires it out to the employee - the hiring costs are paid for by the salary sacrifice but the hire cost is treated as a taxable supply by YourCo to the employee. So it needs to be included in your flat-rate turnover for VAT purposes?

I do think this is an ask your accountant question, but if my above understanding is correct, then possibly you could:

* Deal with the salary sacrifice by simply reducing the amount you pay the employee and run through the payroll
                  * Create sales using journals to account for the taxable supply - this should add it to your VAT return turnover
                  In a nutshell.

1) yes the employees salary is just reduced by the amount of the "loan"
                  2) if I create sales then these are liable to corporation tax, the purchase of a bike is an allowable expense, but is liable to vat. (I'm sorry I started this cycle to work scheme, but one of my employees was keen)

I might just bite the bullet and lose the ct on the purchase, but why should I take a 20% hit to "do the right thing"?

Comment

Working...
                  X