• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
    sorry - im rather confused ..... is this to start the george ball rolling or something else ?
    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      We expect costs to be broadly similar, if not lower, than suggested in the Xmas newsletter when we did the survey.
      I went looking for this to remind myself of the figures - do you mean what was mentioned in relation to an FFT case?

Also, I notice on the ntrt website that the "latest news" section was last updated in May 2014!
      Might put potential new joiners off if the site looks stale. Just a thought!

Keep up the excellent work and lets get it ON!

Comment

Originally posted by freeranger View Post
        I went looking for this to remind myself of the figures - do you mean what was mentioned in relation to an FFT case? Yes

Also, I notice on the ntrt website that the "latest news" section was last updated in May 2014!
        Might put potential new joiners off if the site looks stale. Just a thought! Noted

Keep up the excellent work and lets get it ON!
        Thanks

Comment

Now you're getting greedy.
          Would be rather funny though.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
            Would be rather funny though.
            Do you want to know what's even more funny?

As well as refunding the tax/nic, they'd have to pay us interest.

Comment

Do you want to know what's even more funny?

As well as refunding the tax/nic, they'd have to pay us interest.
              7.5% pa!!

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
                Clearly they had no intention of negotiating a settlement.
                Given that some people are in receipt of APNs, I think time is of the essence.
                I don't believe for one minute that a review will lead to HMRC dropping their tax demands or entering into negotation, and I think our only hope of resolution lies in the courts (or on the steps of the courtroom).
                I vote that we press ahead with the FTT as quickly as possible.
                +1 from me

Comment

What I don't understand is that HMRCs approach is to settle when they don't believe that have a more than 50% chance. We have already approached them and said we believe they have a less than 25% chance. They responded with the fraud angle. Are we planning to speak to them again with the QC opinion of the fraud angle being "pie in the sky"? Will that not bring out a settlement approach? The fraud angle feels to me, although I was not party to the discussions, as part of an exchange towards settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by Overwhelmed View Post
                    Just a thought, but we all paid an amount to HMRC each year based on self employed fees. If we were not actually liable for this, should 'George' win, will this have to be repaid to us? That would be really nice.
                    Are you saying OW that we paid more under SE than we would have under PAYE?

Comment

Originally posted by tendo71 View Post
                      What I don't understand is that HMRCs approach is to settle when they don't believe that have a more than 50% chance. We have already approached them and said we believe they have a less than 25% chance. They responded with the fraud angle. Are we planning to speak to them again with the QC opinion of the fraud angle being "pie in the sky"? Will that not bring out a settlement approach? The fraud angle feels to me, although I was not party to the discussions, as part of an exchange towards settlement.
                      CCW have recommended writing to them again, which we will probably do.

But I think we have to assume that these talks are going nowhere, and HMRC are just playing for time.

We don't want to look back in a few months and think, jesus, if only we'd acted sooner.

Comment

Working...
                      X