• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie Q - 3 month rolling contract - Umbrella or Ltd.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Q - 3 month rolling contract - Umbrella or Ltd.

Hi All - I've just accepted a role where i am on a 3 month rolling contract. They have asked me to set up a Ltd company. I'm not sure if it's worth me setting up Ltd company though if the contract only last for say 3/6/9 months. I'm hoping to benefit from claim childcare vouchers / daily expense claims but believe the childcare voucher scheme benefit is only allowable if i claim for full year - is that right?
    On a side note the company are witholding some of my daily rate (about 3%) which will be given to me as a retainer at the end of the initial 3 months. Anyone got any help / thoughts on that?
    I'm guessing you will all say speak to an accountant but just thought i'd out the questions out there to see what comes back.
    Cheers!

Umbrellas are only efficient if you are planning on about 30k a year I believe. Anything above that go LTDs.

Accountancy aside if you feel more comfortable kicking the first three months off under a brolly and re assess later you aren't going to lose much but might have better piece of mind. I did on my first gig just to allow me to get my head around the business stuff rather than sink. Might have been a little less tax efficient but peanuts compared to a long career contracting.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eastendoflondon View Post
      Hi All - I've just accepted a role where i am on a 3 month rolling contract. They have asked me to set up a Ltd company. I'm not sure if it's worth me setting up Ltd company though if the contract only last for say 3/6/9 months. I'm hoping to benefit from claim childcare vouchers / daily expense claims but believe the childcare voucher scheme benefit is only allowable if i claim for full year - is that right?
      On a side note the company are witholding some of my daily rate (about 3%) which will be given to me as a retainer at the end of the initial 3 months. Anyone got any help / thoughts on that?
      I'm guessing you will all say speak to an accountant but just thought i'd out the questions out there to see what comes back.
      Cheers!
      Sorry to be a pedant, but I'd be willing to bet that you're not. You're on a three month contract and the agent has added the word 'rolling' when describing it to you. A 'rolling' contract is not three months followed by another and another. A three month rolling contract is one where you have three months left on your contract every day you come in to work (common for certain industries) but exceedingly uncommon in this industry.

Otherwise, what NLUK said.....
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

IR35 is going to be a problem if it is a true rolling contract as well. It may well be umbrella is the best option regardless of length.

Comment

If this is going to be your only contract, then whether you go via umbrella or limited company, the expenses that you can claim will be affected.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ok cheers all - i'll ask the agency if they are happy with me going the umbrella route

Comment

I'd start with a brolly company first just to get a feel for contracting.

Comment

The contract may only end up being for 3 months so try an umbrella and then, if the contract's extended, look at opening a Ltd Co.
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  The contract may only end up being for 3 months so try an umbrella and then, if the contract's extended, look at opening a Ltd Co.
                  You wouldn't happen to know a good one would you?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You wouldn't happen to know a good one would you?
                    Funnily enough I would
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X