• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment

I am currently trying to fill in a self-assessment form (then transfer online). In the last tax year I was working through an umbrella for the first half and LTD for the second half (different contracts). Other than that my tax affairs are very simple, I have done a search and found a little info but not much.

I assume I tick Yes for Q1 ‘Employment’ and No for Q2 ‘Self employment’. Then fill in dividends in part 3 of ‘Income’?
    I can fill in the umbrella details on the SA102 for ‘Employment’ but have no idea what to fill in for the LTD details. Employer’s name? Tax, (zero?) I dont have a P45/P60, PAYE tax reference?

Can anyone offer some guidance?

Originally posted by Bones View Post
    I am currently trying to fill in a self-assessment form (then transfer online). In the last tax year I was working through an umbrella for the first half and LTD for the second half (different contracts). Other than that my tax affairs are very simple, I have done a search and found a little info but not much.

I assume I tick Yes for Q1 ‘Employment’ and No for Q2 ‘Self employment’. Then fill in dividends in part 3 of ‘Income’?
    I can fill in the umbrella details on the SA102 for ‘Employment’ but have no idea what to fill in for the LTD details. Employer’s name? Tax, (zero?) I dont have a P45/P60, PAYE tax reference?

Can anyone offer some guidance?
    Do you have an accountant?
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Awww, where did Andrews post go?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        Do you have an accountant?
        Yes, if I give them £100+vat they will fill it in online, I learn nothing and I am in exactly the same position next year.

Comment

Yes, if I give them £100+vat they will fill it in online, I learn nothing and I am in exactly the same position next year.
          Why would you be in the same position next year - are you planning on mixing limited company and umbrella contracting? And you would get a copy of your return this year anyway to learn from.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Why would you be in the same position next year - are you planning on mixing limited company and umbrella contracting? And you would get a copy of your return this year anyway to learn from.
            If you have an FLC it would make all this go away

Comment

You need to fill out two employment sheets. One for the umbrella and one for your Ltd.

Dividends are recorded in a separate part of the return IIRC as they are not employment income but the employment sheet has a question about your total dividends and salary if you're a close company.

If you don't take a salary or any expenses from YourCo I don't think you need to fill out an employment sheet for your Ltd, just enter your dividends on the main return. But check with your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                No, LTD only but since the LTD part is causing me all the problems then yes I will be in the same position. Never filled in an online assessment, are you saying it generates an email copy? or remains accessible online until next years. If not I dont see where a copy will come from.

Comment

No, LTD only but since the LTD part is causing me all the problems then yes I will be in the same position. Never filled in an online assessment, are you saying it generates an email copy? or remains accessible online until next years. If not I dont see where a copy will come from.
                  Well, next year you will only have one employer, so you would fill in the details of the employer - your limited company which is paying you salary and dividends (I presume) or just dividends (which as a close company you still need to include).

You get a copy of the assessment to download when you submit it. If you pay an accountant to do it, they will need to get you to check the figures anyway before they submit it, so you would have a copy there. And IIRC, you can download previous years from the HMRC website. Even if they didn't, ask them for a copy and keep it safe so you'll know for next year.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Each year's submission is added to the history. If this is the first one you have completed, you will have no history therefore cannot see anything.

Once you submit a return and it is accepted, you will recieve an automated email with a submission confirmation number (unique and about 30 char long), provided of course that you have registered your email address.

Again, once the form is submitted, you can download it as a PDF and do all the things you ever wanted to do with PDF's.

If you follow the RTFM link on the HMRC web site, you will be told all this stuff too.

Comment

Working...
                    X