• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 site expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 site expenses

OK, quick question.

I am contracting for a financial services company.

They have 3 sites - all in the UK.

Officially I work at all 3 and travel to each quite regularly.

When I started I was not advised that I would be "based" at any particular one site.

Therefore my question is this:- Am I able to claim travel mileage to each site from my company address as no one site is a "commute" as I am not based at any one site? Even if I were could I still claim the mileage (I travel by car) to that site?

The company themselves have not queried it previously and have paid up until now the expenses - although secretly I wonder if that is just because the manager couldn't be bothered to check what I was claiming.

I have had a similar experience with another company and they paid all my mileage so wondered quite were I stood with this?

F.

Originally posted by fullags View Post
    OK, quick question.

When I started I was not advised that I would be "based" at any particular one site.

Therefore my question is this:- Am I able to claim travel mileage to each site from my company address as no one site is a "commute" as I am not based at any one site? Even if I were could I still claim the mileage (I travel by car) to that site?

The company themselves have not queried it previously and have paid up until now the expenses - although secretly I wonder if that is just because the manager couldn't be bothered to check what I was claiming.

I have had a similar experience with another company and they paid all my mileage so wondered quite were I stood with this?

F.
    It depends...

If you have your own company - no problem, all three are temporary locations subject to the usual 24 month rules.

If you are a brolly user and only have had this one contract through them, then possibly not. If you have had multiple engagements then the above applies.

However, that's all about personal taxation. You as the supplier charge the client whatever has been agreed for the supply of services, explicitly or implicitly. If they are happy to pay the invoices, why is that an issue?

Or are you mixing up personal and corporate expenditure and getting them to pay your personal expenses separately to your company ones...?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by fullags View Post
      OK, quick question.

F.
      Impossible to answer, as we don't know the details of your contract with client co and you haven't told us.

If you did not negotiate this up front in your contract, or get approval then there is a chance at some point someone will spot this, and ask you to reimburse the company.

If I was expected to do all that travelling, I'd have been looking for expenses in my contract, or up my day rate accordingly.

Comment

Working...
      X