• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travelling expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    And remember the 24 month rule doesn't just apply to your contracting career so if your permie job beforehand was in the same (or similar) location then you need to factor this in.
    This is a new one on me...?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      This is a new one on me...?
      Why wouldn't it? Its a personal allowance, not a per-business allowance. And I appreciate that the logic makes no sense.
      World's Best Martini

Comment

Thanks for the replies. So, for the avoidance of any doubt on my part am I ok to claim for the full expenses listed below? (So long as I am mindful of the 24 month rule).

The fact that these would be the same cost each month wouldn't present any issues?

Train - £550
        Car Park - £80
        Mileage - £150
        Oyster - £100

Comment

Originally posted by tails007 View Post
          Thanks for the replies. So, for the avoidance of any doubt on my part am I ok to claim for the full expenses listed below? (So long as I am mindful of the 24 month rule).

The fact that these would be the same cost each month wouldn't present any issues?

Train - £550
          Car Park - £80
          Mileage - £150
          Oyster - £100
          No problems.

Comment

Train - £550
            Car Park - £80
            Mileage - £150
            Oyster - £100
            Not an issue at all. If challenged you can produce receipts and you can justify the travelling for business reasons.

Comment

Any response to my post OP?

Comment

Thanks. .. 20% is quite a lot on that amount. ... is there another option then that I'm not seeing?
                You think 20% is a lot, but you want another option?
                Can you rephrase your question?

To make it clearer, the money in your company account has been earned by, and is owned by your company.

But effectively, you are going to pay it out as salary and divvies to yourself (and maybe your wife as a shareholder if you are set up that way), as well as pay corp tax on the profit.

So when you "claim" expenses, it is coming out of money you would have paid out to yourself anyway. By having your company reimburse you the employee the whole travel amount, you then will not have to pay 20% corporation tax on that amount had it stayed in your company.

So your not getting a free £1000 for example, you are only saving 20% of that, £200 overall.

And you don't receive that £200 from anywhere, either to you personally, or to the company, your corp tax bill is just £200 less.

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                  Why wouldn't it? Its a personal allowance, not a per-business allowance. And I appreciate that the logic makes no sense.
                  It actually makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X