• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NI and Tax question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NI and Tax question

Guys, quick hypothetical question.

From April 2014 to December 2014, a person has not earned anything. From Jan 2014 to April 2015, (s)he has earned 9,000. Is there any tax and NI due on this amount for year 2014-2015.

advance apologizes to those who are going to write "Ask your accountant"

Originally posted by computerguru View Post
    Guys, quick hypothetical question.

From April 2014 to December 2014, a person has not earned anything. From Jan 2014 to April 2015, (s)he has earned 9,000. Is there any tax and NI due on this amount for year 2014-2015.

advance apologizes to those who are going to write "Ask your accountant"
    I would say no as the tax threshold is £10,000 before you start paying tax.

I'm not an acoountant though

Comment

NI is calculated weekly/monthly so there will be NI on the payments. If you're a director its calculated annually though so the first £7956 won't have NIC. The balance will. Employees' contributions only though as you'll have £2,000 employer allowance with which to wipe out the emp'ers NIC.

Comment

If you earned the £9K in one month, there would be NI and PAYE payable, so this really depends on what you have declared in your RTI?

If you haven't been using RTI, then I would suggest you hurriedly engage the service of one of the Professional Accountants who post here, as opposed to asking "us" Radiator Bleeders / Gladiators?
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          If you earned the £9K in one month, there would be NI and PAYE payable, so this really depends on what you have declared in your RTI?

If you haven't been using RTI, then I would suggest you hurriedly engage the service of one of the Professional Accountants who post here, as opposed to asking "us" Radiator Bleeders / Gladiators?
          Erm, can I just point I only like gladiators...
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Accountants can bleed radiators too. Suck at being a gladiator.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
              Bleeding gladiators is more fun though, ask Russell Crowe.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                Now I don't know how to bleed a radiator but I quite fancy having a go at being a gladiator - just discuss tax legislation with your opponent before the off and he'd be so dazed and confused you'd have no problem winning.
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                X