• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Billable mileage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Billable mileage

I'm sure this is a stupid question.

I invoice my client for mileage to a secondary site. Am I permitted to claim that mileage as an expense as if it wasn't paid by the client?

Yes

Providing you are travelling in your own personal vehicle to a temporary workplace, you can claim mileage as an expense.

For a car, the HMRC rates are 45p for the first 10,000 miles and 25p thereafter in the tax year.

Even though the client is reimbursing you, this will be classed as income into your business, in the same way as your other invoices.

Comment

What does your accountant have to say about that?

Comment

You claim from YourCo at HMRC rates, exempt from income tax.

You re-charge this to your client at an agreed rate (which may or may not be the same as the HMRC rate) or even a flat rate per day or whatever you both agree on. You charge VAT on top. It's just normal turnover.

The two are not affected by each other. If your client isn't billed you can still claim from YourCo. Likewise if you can't claim from YourCo for some reason (eg 24 month rule) you can still bill your client.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          What does your accountant have to say about that?
          Boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
            Boring.
            Get a more interesting accountant, then. Mine has already answered in this thread
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X