• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday Pay Case and Umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    As I said I haven't read through the case yet (planned for today - I'll report back) but it shouldn't - if it applies to bonuses as well then all the major banks will be closing down before us
    Nah, we will just give them a bailout.

But yes, that adds some clarity. If it is including bonus I could be claiming for 15% (approx) of mine. That would clearly be absurd. And no judgement would cause that. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Don't want to hijack this thread but anyone else think this overtime pay to be classed as standard (short and dirty summary) is a little bit stupid and retrospective payment of it is just ridiculous?
      Yes and no.

It seems to me that one in effect get approximately 12% added on to salary/wages in the form of holiday pay. It is a reasonable concept that hourly paid working more hours this should be applied. There are a lot of people who may nominally work a 20 hour week but in fact work considerably more (and lord knows what the position is with zero hours contracts).

It is, of course, also the case that overtime sometimes attracts a premium etc.

[In the case of brolly is should be moot anyway since it all comes from the same pot, however it is eventually paid out].

Going forward, I think it is not unreasonable. Somebody may have "flat" hours paying them 150 quid a week. But due to overtime it is 300. When holiday is planned then it is 150 again. Yes of course they can plan for that, but with the parlous state of low paid finances that is not necessarily possible living pay packet to pay packet.

What is stupid - and it is not a little bit stupid it is mind-blowingly moronic - is the backdated nature. The rates set for overtime etc were set with an understanding of how it impacted the overall wage bill. What the liabilities were.

Employers are now at risk of, in effect, being presented with a bill for 12% of all overtime paid for the last 'n' years. Plus er's NI as well of course. I suppose there will be some saving graces in that all the accounts will need restating and it will result in a CT saving reducing the net impact to around 10% of all overtime payments.

So, going forwards it is fine. That's simply a view, others could reasonably hold a different view.

Going backwards (and technically it is not retrospective). Insane. Just another nail in small business coffins.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Employers are now at risk of, in effect, being presented with a bill for 12% of all overtime paid for the last 'n' years. Plus er's NI as well of course. I suppose there will be some saving graces in that all the accounts will need restating and it will result in a CT saving reducing the net impact to around 10% of all overtime payments.

So, going forwards it is fine. That's simply a view, others could reasonably hold a different view.

Going backwards (and technically it is not retrospective). Insane. Just another nail in small business coffins.
        Hi ASB

Not got the judgement with me at the moment (just out of the office) but I seem to recall reading that any backdated claim would be subject to strict criteria and also subject to a maximum of three months. Happy for someone to clarify this but if correct it would at least limit exposure to employers somewhat.

Martin
        Contratax Ltd

Comment

Yes and no.

It seems to me that one in effect get approximately 12% added on to salary/wages in the form of holiday pay. It is a reasonable concept that hourly paid working more hours this should be applied. There are a lot of people who may nominally work a 20 hour week but in fact work considerably more (and lord knows what the position is with zero hours contracts).

It is, of course, also the case that overtime sometimes attracts a premium etc.

[In the case of brolly is should be moot anyway since it all comes from the same pot, however it is eventually paid out].

Going forward, I think it is not unreasonable. Somebody may have "flat" hours paying them 150 quid a week. But due to overtime it is 300. When holiday is planned then it is 150 again. Yes of course they can plan for that, but with the parlous state of low paid finances that is not necessarily possible living pay packet to pay packet.

What is stupid - and it is not a little bit stupid it is mind-blowingly moronic - is the backdated nature. The rates set for overtime etc were set with an understanding of how it impacted the overall wage bill. What the liabilities were.

But isn't overtime above and beyond normal hours and that is done by choice (lets remove the argument of jobs that overtime is standard, something altogether different is wrong there). Let's assume they don't have to work overtime, they chose to to top their wage up. They can't work the extra hours on holiday so they don't get paid it. In my simplistic scenario it seems black and white. I agree in jobs where overtime is mandatory there is a case. I guess a contractor forum isn't the place to discuss overtime though
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            But isn't overtime above and beyond normal hours and that is done by choice (lets remove the argument of jobs that overtime is standard, something altogether different is wrong there). Let's assume they don't have to work overtime, they chose to to top their wage up. They can't work the extra hours on holiday so they don't get paid it. In my simplistic scenario it seems black and white. I agree in jobs where overtime is mandatory there is a case. I guess a contractor forum isn't the place to discuss overtime though
            I agree. That is a perfectly reasonable way of looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
              Hi ASB

Not got the judgement with me at the moment (just out of the office) but I seem to recall reading that any backdated claim would be subject to strict criteria and also subject to a maximum of three months. Happy for someone to clarify this but if correct it would at least limit exposure to employers somewhat.

Martin
              Contratax Ltd
              Hopefully that is the way it will pan out.

Going forwards is not without risk if the judgement stands. In effect employers will have to prune overtime rates to account for the delayed payment of part of it in holiday pay. I can't see that going down too well.

Simplistically the additional payment can't just come off the employers bottom line. That would have a dramatic affect on the profitability of labour intensive enterprises.

Comment

I agree. That is a perfectly reasonable way of looking at it.
                Doh.. Spoil sport. Gotta find a newbie to have it out with now
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                  Hi ASB

Martin
                  Contratax Ltd
                  That's what I understand Martin
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

It would seem that the 'retrospective' element comes from the claimants who said that holiday pay should be calculated according to the hours worked, including overtime, and the fact that this wasn't done constitutes an unlawful deduction of earnings which would therefore be repayable if the case succeeded.
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X