• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad debts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad debts

In my s/w company there is a couple of hundred quid outstanding after nearly a year despite reminders. In my contractor company a client went broke owing about £1600. Still no news from administrators after about 6 months. (Apart from minutes of the meeting at which they voted themselves a fat fee!)

Can you assume I won't get paid after sufficient time has elapsed and if so how do I handle it in the accounts? Cheers for any comments.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I assume you are accrual accounting. If so read this, it should help you figure out what you need to do for your accounting system.

http://www.accaglobal.com/publicatio...countant/11983

I assum you are cash accounting for VAT in which case you don't need to worry about bad debt relief, but it will impact your vat liability moving forward so don't forget to credit back the vat element.

HTH.

Comment

That looks really useful, cheers asb.

Yes, cash accounting for VAT, so assume I did not need to bother about it at all. Didn't really follow the second part of your sentence.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
        Didn't really follow the second part of your sentence.
        Didn't put it very well. What I was trying to say was "don;t forget to reduce your vat account by the vat on the invoice". I am assuming that when the invoice was created the sale value will have been posted to sales and the vat value to a liability account salled something like "vat control".

Comment

Working...
        X