• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
    I got sponsored by the recruitment agency I think. They put forward for the job without asking about my SC status. I had it for 7 years between 1999 and 2006.

It only took a week to come through.
    That's BC clearance by the way, not SC as SC has never taken 1 week, but BC usually takes that long as it's just a glorified ID check.

SC requires a List A or List X company or a Ministry sponsor to put you forwards, you can't apply for it personally or via MyCo.

8-12 weeks is about average for SC to come through this year and these days all clearances are done by one agency and not the inidivual ministries as it used to be. The approx cost to the sponsor is £400.
    DV typically takes 6-9 months.

SC requires some long forms to be filled in with various details including things about your parents which can be tricky to obtain if they're no longer alive to ask, DV takes a lot more and involves interviews and questions to all sorts of your past contacts.

Comment

I've just been put through SC clearance by current client. Very nice of them too as I'll probably never actually work for their client who requires it!

All I've had so far is an email from someone internal stating that it's come through and I'm cleared to work on the account - and the expiry date of the clearance.

I've asked for more info from them, because I figured there must be a reference number or certificate or something. The lady is going to find out if there's anything they will send me, but she said all they get is an email saying who's been cleared!

I'm guessing it's probably "myclientco's client", rather than myclientco who are actually putting us through the clearance and that's why she's not got any info.

What should I expect to get to confirm the sc clearance? Job security here isn't high (even though my contract runs until December, recent cut backs have seen 4 contractors ditched in recent weeks) and I would like to be able to show something if they give me the boot early.

Comment

Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
        I've just been put through SC clearance by current client. Very nice of them too as I'll probably never actually work for their client who requires it!

All I've had so far is an email from someone internal stating that it's come through and I'm cleared to work on the account - and the expiry date of the clearance.

I've asked for more info from them, because I figured there must be a reference number or certificate or something. The lady is going to find out if there's anything they will send me, but she said all they get is an email saying who's been cleared!

I'm guessing it's probably "myclientco's client", rather than myclientco who are actually putting us through the clearance and that's why she's not got any info.

What should I expect to get to confirm the sc clearance? Job security here isn't high (even though my contract runs until December, recent cut backs have seen 4 contractors ditched in recent weeks) and I would like to be able to show something if they give me the boot early.
        It dies one year after you last needed to use it. During that year it can be turned back on quite easily, after that, you go through the mill all over again...

Anyway there is a reference held by the site SSO; if you're really lucky you can use that to speed up your next clearance, if you can get hold of it (the reference is itself a classified document, hence not accessible to uncleared people, so you may not be allowed to see it. Paranoia is a way of life at this level...). In my experience it depends if the SSO is ex-military, or post-holding Civvy; guess which is the more rule-bound.

Incidentally, I once went from commercial SC (private company with MoD contracts for supply of electronics) to real MOD job (build a Helpdesk...): they re-vetted me since the MOD didn't trust the commercial company's clearance. The same thing can happen between vetting agencies as well apparently.
        Last edited by malvolio; 4 August 2008, 18:10.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

SC requires some long forms to be filled in with various details including things about your parents which can be tricky to obtain if they're no longer alive to ask, DV takes a lot more and involves interviews and questions to all sorts of your past contacts.
          I filled in the form asking for all details of parents, partners, last 5 year addresses and last three years of references.

You are correct in that I do currently have BC. It means I cannot go into the office next door. I might be able to pass notes through their letterbox.

Comment

bit of help

Now then

Offered a job on a MOD site and been told i need to apply for SC

Willing to do this but like most people i have a few worries about this

- from the age of 19-20 i was arrested 4 times- 1 caution, i fine for public order, one on the spot fine for drunk and disorderly. two of these occurred a week after my grandads funeral which was bit of a pain. the other arrest turned out to be a mistake-

Apart from that all is good- good credit score, no bad debts (apart from student debts D. 5 years in the Territorial Army with no problems such as court martials.

was wondering if anyone knows hows this would affect the SC

Comment

Originally posted by bob hopkins View Post
              Now then

Offered a job on a MOD site and been told i need to apply for SC

Willing to do this but like most people i have a few worries about this

- from the age of 19-20 i was arrested 4 times- 1 caution, i fine for public order, one on the spot fine for drunk and disorderly. two of these occurred a week after my grandads funeral which was bit of a pain. the other arrest turned out to be a mistake-

Apart from that all is good- good credit score, no bad debts (apart from student debts D. 5 years in the Territorial Army with no problems such as court martials.

was wondering if anyone knows hows this would affect the SC
              It won't just tell the truth on your forms. If you openly admit things then you are not easy to blackmail.

I've met people who have minor offences like yours and have got defence clearance but have not been able to do work for the police.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

thanks for the reply, im not bothered about telling anyone-everyone makes mistakes- some are unlucky and get caught out. will tell them everything on the form.

I think the way they check- ie forms and paperwork is a bit silly, paper doesnt always show the truth. interviews are probably more realiabe but they seem to only do them for DV or in extreme cases of SC.

makes sense that they couldnt work for the police- pillars of society and all, the MOD is a bit different- the army is full of people in similar situations as myself

Comment

Working...
                X