• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ministry of Justice role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    It's up to the hiring agency which one they offer. You would hope they know if they're dealing with an SE or with a Limited Company contractor.
    But being a Ltd Co contractor doesn't define the tax position of the individual or their employment status come to that. Would there be penalties for the hiring agency for offering the wrong one? If not then the onus still falls on the contractor
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      But being a Ltd Co contractor doesn't define the tax position of the individual or their employment status come to that. Would there be penalties for the hiring agency for offering the wrong one? If not then the onus still falls on the contractor
      It always does. Under the rules for Self Assessment it's the individual that has to ensure they're paying the right amount of tax. If you have a defensible IR35-free contract and working arrangements, there's no issue.

But if you are dim enough not to realise that you are signing a contract of personal service either as an employee of someone other than YourCo or as a Schedule D SE, then yes, it could go all wrong. But that's your own fault for not understanding how to run your business properly.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'd bet they will put you on PAYE but Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Received the proforma contract they will draw up for my services today. it is the limited company contract, it has all the right clauses, substitution, even subcontract. indemnity liability etc and Qdos have approved this as being outside of IR35.

Although the working practices etc are still relevant as they are with all contracts it is the tax assurance form which worries me. will this be a red flag to the HMRC for investigation?

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
            Received the proforma contract they will draw up for my services today. it is the limited company contract, it has all the right clauses, substitution, even subcontract. indemnity liability etc and Qdos have approved this as being outside of IR35.

Although the working practices etc are still relevant as they are with all contracts it is the tax assurance form which worries me. will this be a red flag to the HMRC for investigation?
            Nope. It has no legal force and is not an indicator of IR35 status. Even if it were, given you have a solid contract and a positive review, how far do you think they'll get?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Nope. It has no legal force and is not an indicator of IR35 status. Even if it were, given you have a solid contract and a positive review, how far do you think they'll get?
              Just out of deranged curiosity, if someone has a proforma of one of these contracts and sends it to HMRC for review.....

Anyone want to bet on the outcome?
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It always does. Under the rules for Self Assessment it's the individual that has to ensure they're paying the right amount of tax. If you have a defensible IR35-free contract and working arrangements, there's no issue.

But if you are dim enough not to realise that you are signing a contract of personal service either as an employee of someone other than YourCo or as a Schedule D SE, then yes, it could go all wrong. But that's your own fault for not understanding how to run your business properly.
                But that's kind of the point I was making - where clear unambiguous questions are being asked to determine status and to establish tax liability HMG can hold their hands up and say it's not our fault if the correct taxes haven't been paid, it's the contractor's fault; the contractor also then has little defence
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Just out of deranged curiosity, if someone has a proforma of one of these contracts and sends it to HMRC for review.....

Anyone want to bet on the outcome?
                  Thing is DaveB, this contract is a Capita contract who exclusively deal with 'suppliers' therefore how could HMRC in reality challenge the clauses within these contracts? I think they would find it very hard.

there are two contracts one for limited company suppliers and one for temporary workers.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    But that's kind of the point I was making - where clear unambiguous questions are being asked to determine status and to establish tax liability HMG can hold their hands up and say it's not our fault if the correct taxes haven't been paid, it's the contractor's fault; the contractor also then has little defence
                    Which leads to fun for lawyers.......

(The OP has insurance.)
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

CLOne Tax Assurance Evidence form

Good morning

I am filling a CLOne Tax Assurance Evidence, and I am a bit confused about how to fill it - first time doing it, I've been on the private sector before...

I took the BET test and I am medium risk. I got the contract through an agency, which is the one that will be paying my invoices (I won't be paid directly by MoJ). I won't be on their payroll. I don't have a certificate from HMRC confirming I am out of scope for IR35, so my question is: should I tick the "Fully IR35 compliant" box? I am outside of IR35, as I have other work going on in parallel with the job I will be doing for the MoJ (and I took another IR35 test online with more questions and it said that my risk is low). The agent told me it's not relevant and that if something happens I just have to prove that I'm outside IR35. My issue is that I don't wanna send something to them saying I'm fully IR35 compliant and then telling my accountant that I am outside of IR35 in order to process the invoices.

I've had a quick look at the forums and I couldn't find an answer. If this has already been explained, could someone please send me a link/point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot
                      C

Comment

Working...
                      X