• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC are officially rubbish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC are officially rubbish

HMRC are officially rubbish- Adjudicator upholds 90% of complaints | BitterWallet

I made a written complaint about 3 months ago...

...and I'm seriously considering a written complaint about the time it has take to respond to my original complaint.

Our practice holds the relevant online 64-8 authorisation for a client but one guy at HMRC were really reluctant to provide any help. When I asked him: "Are you refusing to help me?" he did eventually back down!

It's not just me - I read an article a few weeks back that 1 in 5 calls are not answered by HMRC. I know that many of our clients, when they do call, they are often on hold for 30 minutes plus.

Maybe one day they will drag themselves in to the 21st century by using email, refining their working practices/ procedures to improve their ability to handle calls, and by training some of their staff to be courteous and helpful.

Here's hoping!

Comment

If it's any consolation I've been waiting almost a year for technical advice on a legal point
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        If it's any consolation I've been waiting almost a year for technical advice on a legal point
        Reboot it. You will be fine.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Reboot it. You will be fine.
          Turn off HMRC and turn them back on again? Great idea......apart from the second bit
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

You trust them to advise on a technical point?

For my own personal tax affairs, I thought I'd humour HMRC by asking for some technical advice about whether I could challenge a bill under ESC A19.

They insisted 'no', 'no' and 'no again'. I put a claim in for ESC A19. Two weeks later they wrote me a letter of apology and granted the ESC A19.

I have the letter framed in my office.

Comment

Guess DonkeyRhubarb was right all along!

Comment

Working...
              X