• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling laptop bought under flat rate scheme as it can't be returned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maccy View Post
    I bought a laptop for my ltd which is unsuitable, but can't be returned as it was a business purchase.

I would now like to sell it via ebay, as it will just collect dust otherwise. It was bought under the flat rate scheme.

Is there anything I need to bear in mind? Do I need to charge the buyer VAT on it?
    Maccy, you may be able to claim back the VAT on the laptop if the VAT-inclusive price of the purchase was £2,000 or more and this was all shown on a single invoice. If you fall into this category, and claim back the VAT on the laptop, then when you come to sell the asset , you must charge VAT at the full standard rate - not at your flat rate percentage. You may need to then issue a VAT invoice to the purchaser (albeit on ebay) so that the potential buyer (should they be able to reclaim the VAT) can do so.

Hope this is of help.

theAccountant
    Lighthouse Chartered Accountants and Tax Advisors
    Providing a solution to all of your contracting, business and tax needs.

theAccountant BEng (Hons) ACA MIET

Comment

Originally posted by theAccountant View Post
      Maccy, you may be able to claim back the VAT on the laptop if the VAT-inclusive price of the purchase was £2,000 or more and this was all shown on a single invoice. If you fall into this category, and claim back the VAT on the laptop, then when you come to sell the asset , you must charge VAT at the full standard rate - not at your flat rate percentage. You may need to then issue a VAT invoice to the purchaser (albeit on ebay) so that the potential buyer (should they be able to reclaim the VAT) can do so.

Hope this is of help.

theAccountant
      No ifs about it. The OP must charge VAT at the standard rate must issue a VAT invoice, regardless of whether the input VAT was reclaimed.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        No ifs about it. The OP must charge VAT at the standard rate must issue a VAT invoice, regardless of whether the input VAT was reclaimed.
        I suspect what he meant was that if you reclaimed the VAT, you must account for the VAT at the standard rate on your VAT return instead of applying your flat rate percentage to the gross.

To be fair, the HMRC guidance on this is worded just as poorly:

Selling a capital asset
        If you meet all the conditions and claim back the VAT on a capital asset, then when you have finished with the asset and sell it, you must charge VAT at the full standard rate - not at your flat rate percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          I suspect what he meant was that if you reclaimed the VAT, you must account for the VAT at the standard rate on your VAT return instead of applying your flat rate percentage to the gross.

To be fair, the HMRC guidance on this is worded just as poorly:
          1) Two wrongs don't make a right.

2) Chartered Accountants and Tax Advisors touting on a contractor's forum better had get it right or expect to be corrected.

Comment

Working...
          X