Hi...About to go contracting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Posts 41 to 48 of 48
  1. #41

    Super poster

    kaiser78 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,678
    Thanks (Given)
    49
    Thanks (Received)
    109
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cj1978 View Post
    Hi all ,
    I 'm currently in the process of leaving my employed job. I've had good meetings with a new customer. They have asked how much i charge for mileage to and from service calls and installs (pence per mile ) . I will be getting a transit sized van. Has anyone got any ideas of the going rate for this?
    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    You know this is an IT contractor forum don't you ?
    Nevertheless provide some more info and we may be able to help you...
    ______________________
    Don't get mad...get even...

  2. #42

    Contractor Among Contractors

    ladymuck is NOT a disguised employee

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,723
    Thanks (Given)
    154
    Thanks (Received)
    119
    Likes (Given)
    775
    Likes (Received)
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cj1978 View Post
    Hi all ,
    I 'm currently in the process of leaving my employed job. I've had good meetings with a new customer. They have asked how much i charge for mileage to and from service calls and installs (pence per mile ) . I will be getting a transit sized van. Has anyone got any ideas of the going rate for this?
    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    Not sure why you'd resurrect a six month old thread?

    Anyway, YourCo can charge a customer what it likes. What YourCo pays you is not deemed a BIK if the rate is no more than 45p/mile for the first 10k miles per tax year. Google mileage rates and you'll see this. https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene.../rules-for-tax
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  3. #43

    Still gathering requirements...

    DSF70 is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    38
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default

    Just thought Iíd give you all an update.

    Coming to end of my first gig (Programme implements soon, and a few weeks post-live support), couple of renewals, will be 17 months in total. A decent start to contracting....but I guess this is the bit where a noob finds out how hard (or easy) it is to get gig number 2.

    Looking forward to Xmas off, but would be nice to have something to look forward to in the new year.

    Money isnít a problem, built up best part of 2 years war chest, but thatís not the point.

  4. #44

    Nervous Newbie

    BenJeffrey has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSF70 View Post
    Just thought Iíd give you all an update.

    Coming to end of my first gig (Programme implements soon, and a few weeks post-live support), couple of renewals, will be 17 months in total. A decent start to contracting....but I guess this is the bit where a noob finds out how hard (or easy) it is to get gig number 2.

    Looking forward to Xmas off, but would be nice to have something to look forward to in the new year.

    Money isnít a problem, built up best part of 2 years war chest, but thatís not the point.
    Hopefully you've continued to build the war chest over the past 17 months, not a bad time of the year to end, it's definitely quiet at the moment but hopefully January/February it creeps back up again.

    17 months at your first gig could look good, as long as you don't tell them it overran because you were too slow

  5. #45

    Double Godlike!

    MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,519
    Thanks (Given)
    775
    Thanks (Received)
    760
    Likes (Given)
    5031
    Likes (Received)
    2907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenJeffrey View Post
    Hopefully you've continued to build the war chest over the past 17 months, not a bad time of the year to end, it's definitely quiet at the moment but hopefully January/February it creeps back up again.

    17 months at your first gig could look good, as long as you don't tell them it overran because you were too slow
    It was his first gig which lasted 17 months.

    He managed to build up 2 years war chest from those 17 months.

  6. #46

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,825
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1472
    Likes (Given)
    1783
    Likes (Received)
    6045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSF70 View Post
    Looking forward to Xmas off, but would be nice to have something to look forward to in the new year.
    Yeah, the death of contracting. Enjoy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #47

    Godlike

    LondonManc - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,773
    Thanks (Given)
    341
    Thanks (Received)
    598
    Likes (Given)
    2244
    Likes (Received)
    2663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenJeffrey View Post
    Hopefully you've continued to build the war chest over the past 17 months, not a bad time of the year to end, it's definitely quiet at the moment but hopefully January/February it creeps back up again.

    17 months at your first gig could look good, as long as you don't tell them it overran because you were too slow
    A bit like you having attention to detail as one of your key assets.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  8. #48

    Double Godlike!

    MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,519
    Thanks (Given)
    775
    Thanks (Received)
    760
    Likes (Given)
    5031
    Likes (Received)
    2907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    A bit like you having attention to detail as one of your key assets.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.