• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time + Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time + Expenses

Hi there,

I live in Manchester and I may get my first gig in Canary Wharf. I have been reading this forum and the webpage for a while, but there is still something I am not clear about: Expenses. I know that I can claim them from my LTD to get some relief, but do you also normally charge them back to the client? Or do you pay them from your own pocket? What are your experiences about it?

Originally posted by Spacer View Post
    Hi there,

I live in Manchester and I may get my first gig in Canary Wharf. I have been reading this forum and the webpage for a while, but there is still something I am not clear about: Expenses. I know that I can claim them from my LTD to get some relief, but do you also normally charge them back to the client? Or do you pay them from your own pocket? What are your experiences about it?
    What have you agreed with the agent and what does it say in your contract?

If you said nowt, an there's nowt in the contract then your company has to cough up those exes out of your day rate (keep the receipts too...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks cojak

I haven't got anything yet. I am just having a phone interview on Monday. If I pass it then I will have a F2F down there, but before doing that I'll ask about the expenses to the agent. They would allow me to work 2 days a week from home, but even that, London is ridiculously expensive so I wouldn't go forward if they are not covering the accommodation expenses at least.

Comment

I wouldn't go forward if they are not covering the accommodation expenses at least.
        God luck with that.....

Comment

Thanks cojak

I haven't got anything yet. I am just having a phone interview on Monday. If I pass it then I will have a F2F down there, but before doing that I'll ask about the expenses to the agent. They would allow me to work 2 days a week from home, but even that, London is ridiculously expensive so I wouldn't go forward if they are not covering the accommodation expenses at least.
          Not.Gonna.Happen.

As a BEST CASE scenario you may be able to talk up the rate, but ultimately if the rate on offer isn't enough to make it worthwhile WITH expenses then it's simply not the gig for you.

Comment

Thanks cojak

When I've worked away from home, I have factored the costs into my daily rate if expenses haven't been covered by the client. Sometimes I make on it, sometimes I break even, and more often than not, I miscalculate and lost a bit on the costs of work.

When working from home, I have negotiated additional payment for time spent not working from home to cover the additional costs. This also gives the client an incentive to let you work from home more because it saves them money.

In my experience, though, most clients are looking for an all-in rate rather than a daily rate plus expenses - make sure you know what the costs are likely to be when negotiating rates and terms with the agency.

Good luck.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              When working from home, I have negotiated additional payment for time spent not working from home to cover the additional costs. This also gives the client an incentive to let you work from home more because it saves them money.
              That would be a great idea. I have made my calculations, and the rate would be ok if they allow me to work from home 2 days a week, but otherwise it would not be worthy.

Comment

I have made my calculations, and the rate would be ok if they allow me to work from home 2 days a week, but otherwise it would not be worthy.
                Make sure you hear it from the client that they're happy for you to work off site, or written into the contract, and not just the agent's say so.

Offering two rates for on-site/off-site is an option. Be prepared to be on-site 100% though because if the client has the budget then they'll probably ask for it.

Comment

Working...
                X