Is there an umbrella company where you can choose your pension and other benefits?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Posts 11 to 19 of 19

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Send them across to trawl through the ITEPA that should keep them busy for some time!

HMRC confirmed to us that if you are inside you are highly unlikely not to be caught by SDC but there may be the very slightest chance best speak direct with HMRC they are the only ones that can give a definitive answer!
    Just watching what I say

We now offer Ltd too, so if you need a company that you can switch between Ltd & Umbrella, just shout!

Connect with me on LinkedIn

Ddraig Goch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
    Send them across to trawl through the ITEPA that should keep them busy for some time!

HMRC confirmed to us that if you are inside you are highly unlikely not to be caught by SDC but there may be the very slightest chance best speak direct with HMRC they are the only ones that can give a definitive answer!
    Im having a mental block now. I thought if your PS client declared you inside IR35 then that was it - no expenses?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just watching what I say

We now offer Ltd too, so if you need a company that you can switch between Ltd & Umbrella, just shout!

Ddraig Goch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DANBRO will do it.

Can pay what you want into pension scheme as salary sacrifice so savings on NI and tax. They also do salary sacrifice childcare vouchers.

Also, only 17 a week.

TPAFKAk2p2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Im having a mental block now. I thought if your PS client declared you inside IR35 then that was it - no expenses?
    IR35 is the test for a LtdCo
    SDC is the test for a brolly

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    IR35 is the test for a LtdCo
    SDC is the test for a brolly
    And the public sector test for whether a contract is subject to IR35 is mainly based on SDC...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default AVC?

Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    All you brolly users - do you manage to pay more than the minimum into pension via brolly?

Seems an ideal opportunity to me. Why not pay in more to save tax/NI?

Trouble is my existing brolly (Sterling- crap) only do the minimum into NEST. Other than that they only do AVCs (which negates any NI saving). I've asked a few others and it seems to be a common theme - i.e. we do the minimum because we have to by law but we're not really interested in doing anything else.
    I've just been enrolled into NEST on minimum contributions so about to ask them (umbrella.co.uk - didn't choose them - limited list of bad/have-to-do eggs) if I can contribute more. What's AVC I wanted to ask? Also, how do I know whether I'm better off going through them to increase pension pot or just sticking my cash in premium bonds until I'm in a perm role somewhere?! I telephoned them and it looks like any contribution into nest comes straight from my wage and they don't add anything. I suppose that's standard under a brolly, but I'm just trying to get to grips with it all...

Ddraig Goch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flips View Post
    I've just been enrolled into NEST on minimum contributions so about to ask them (umbrella.co.uk - didn't choose them - limited list of bad/have-to-do eggs) if I can contribute more. What's AVC I wanted to ask? Also, how do I know whether I'm better off going through them to increase pension pot or just sticking my cash in premium bonds until I'm in a perm role somewhere?! I telephoned them and it looks like any contribution into nest comes straight from my wage and they don't add anything. I suppose that's standard under a brolly, but I'm just trying to get to grips with it all...
    Do you have to go with them?

If you pay AVC, its basically a personal contribution but you get to save tax on it.

If its done as salary sacrifice/employer contribution you save employer ni, employee ni, AND tax. So much better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flips View Post
    I telephoned them and it looks like any contribution into nest comes straight from my wage and they don't add anything. I suppose that's standard under a brolly, but I'm just trying to get to grips with it all...
    If it's salary sacrifice, then the Employers Contribution is deemed to come from the contract rate before your taxable salary is arrived at, so you should see both figures shown on your payslip. As psychocandy said if it is done in this way you will see the tax and NI savings
    Just watching what I say

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2