• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with signing up to an umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We would normally expect to see 2 different rates one for standard PAYE and one for Umbrella, which would normally have an uplift to cover the additional costs you mentioned.

Comment

You have probably picked a bad time to start using umbrellas post 6th April 2016 where the chancellor removed our ability to claim travel and subsistence. I am presently on the bench having been not prepared to take the hit on my take home pay. Historically Umbrellas have been a valuable tool for contractors but now they may well be an expensive vehicle for just processing your pay role and no benefits to be claimed.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
        You have probably picked a bad time to start using umbrellas post 6th April 2016 where the chancellor removed our ability to claim travel and subsistence. I am presently on the bench having been not prepared to take the hit on my take home pay. Historically Umbrellas have been a valuable tool for contractors but now they may well be an expensive vehicle for just processing your pay role and no benefits to be claimed.
        Qdos seem to be offering a way for umbrellas to pay travel and subsistence expenses, and an insurance policy to cover anyone who gets caught.

Not sure how, but there was a story on another site this week about how to do it.

Comment

The fact they have an insurance policy to cover it must say something surely????

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
            The fact they have an insurance policy to cover it must say something surely????
            Either (a) there is an easy way round this, and umbrella companies should operate as before; or (b) there is so little chance of investigation that there's good money to be made on the off-chance that there's something to pay.

What will you be doing?

Comment

Hi guys sorry for late reply was abroad. Has anyone been with bestpay before? Its on the list Directory of Umbrella Companies & Alternative Contractor Pay Solutions :: Contractor UK so I would think its safe to use?

They are offering a very good rate without even including any expenses at all. I just dont want to go with them and find out I will never get paid in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by alex2900512 View Post
                Hi guys sorry for late reply was abroad. Has anyone been with bestpay before? Its on the list Directory of Umbrella Companies & Alternative Contractor Pay Solutions :: Contractor UK so I would think its safe to use?

They are offering a very good rate without even including any expenses at all. I just dont want to go with them and find out I will never get paid in the end.
                Dodgy with a capital D, go and have a look over here to see the tales of woe of people who went with these types of schemes in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                  What will you be doing?
                  We are sticking with a simple "no expenses" policy, with advice to the contractor to speak with HMRC with regards to their circumstances to gain clarification on whether SDC applies, so they can be claimed via self-assessment at the end of the year. This way everyone stays safe, with no-one taking a risk... at the end of the day if the contractor is gaining a personal tax advantage then HMRC will be coming direct if there are deemed to be any losses.

Comment

Originally posted by alex2900512 View Post

you would be hard pushed to find any thing other then contractor umbrella recommendation on this site given the great feedback and the amount of work it does put in to fight for and against Gov/HMRC legislation that impacts all umbrella companies holds them in V.high regard by many.

would note that few of the other umbrella companies post the amount advice that contractor umbrella has done and still do in a open and honest format.

As the for "The Rate" are you just using the online calculators keep in mind these are just estimates you may find the actual rate different on the pay slip. many umbrellas are pushing its users to go LTD after joining using tactics hard selling making the assumption your out side of IR35/SDC and not disguised employee to offer you a better "Deal" but the "Nice Tax Person" will come you not them for the due tax its not worth it for few £ saved on clam for bus fair to work is it.

Comment

Originally posted by sharky View Post
                      you would be hard pushed to find any thing other then contractor umbrella recommendation on this site given the great feedback and the amount of work it does put in to fight for and against Gov/HMRC legislation that impacts all umbrella companies holds them in V.high regard by many.
                      thank you always nice to hear.

Comment

Working...
                      X