• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella and expenses in tax year 2016/2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    I do hope that HMRC read this - we've been trying to get this message across for months
    Do you think they will GAS? It's all part of the master plan!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Do you think they will GAS? It's all part of the master plan!
      No, they won't GIS, definitely not. Master plan implies intelligence and aforethought - can we just call it the latest dog's breakfast?
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Am I being scammed by Crest Plus?

I have submitted two time sheets:
        - 21st March - 25th March (week 51, which will be paid in week 52)
        - 28th March - 1 April (week 52, which will be paid out in week 1 of new financial year)

My manager was too slow to approve first time sheet, thus Crest Plus decided to pay me both time sheets in 1 payment (and it seem deliberately did not pay first time sheet on Monday 28th as they normally would). This was the reason they denied me any expenses for week 52 saying new rules apply.

Having combined 1 time sheets, they provided me with 1 payment slip however they deducted double income tax from my salary. Where I would normally pay £79/week income tax, for combined 2 weeks they charged me £306!!! That's double income tax for each week.

This said, by combining 2 time sheets, they applied 43% tax (all taxes) to my salary, while normally it would be 30% flat rate tax.

They explained this higher (double) income tax deduction is because any allowance of £11k/year divided by 52, thus my tax-free allowance is £211/week. Because my 2 time sheets were paid in the same week, the amount of tax is much higher as my perceived salary for a week doubled (and tax relieve remained £211).

- Is it correct that is I am being paid for week 52 of previous financial year in a 1st week of a new financial year, new rules apply?
        - Is it correct that if they pay my salary for previous financial year they don't have to pay my expenses?
        - Is it correct that the tax relief is £211/week and they allowed to tax me maximum by combining 2 time sheets?
        - I pay £30/week to them to do my calculations. Do they have right to deny making 2 separate pay slips for each week? I asked 5 times and 5 times they said they can't

Thank you very much for everybody's answer..... feel a bit ripped of..

P.S. - while combining 2 time sheets and making it look like I worked double-hours in 1 week:
        - they deducted 4x income tax
        - decudeted 2x Employer's / Employee's NI
        - 2x pension contribution
        - 2x holidays pays
        Last edited by aphrodita; 8 April 2016, 17:54.

Comment

I've never heard of Crest Plus and can't answer your expenses questions but your tax will be sorted out properly when you fill in your tax return. In the meantime, I'd move brollies to the one recommended here.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I've never heard of Crest Plus and can't answer your expenses questions but your tax will be sorted out properly when you fill in your tax return. In the meantime, I'd move brollies to the one recommended here.
            Thank you, I saw other ones, and I chose Crest because they are on Hays' list.... I just want to know if the story about the tax relief per week is true or not....

Comment

Your tax allowance is spread over the tax year - you can't 'carry forward', so if your income this tax year so far is higher than it would normally be, the calculation will assume that you are going to be earning that every week and deduct tax accordingly. But it should even out over the next few weeks when your earnings are lower.

Comment

Originally posted by aphrodita View Post
                - Is it correct that if they pay my salary for previous financial year they don't have to pay my expenses?
                If your expenses were incurred pre 6th April and they had not processed the payment before that date, then they would not have been able to process them in the normal way. Unfortunately you will now have to put these through on a self-assessment if you want to get the tax relief back on them

Comment

I had expenses to submit for Monday/Tuesday prior to the 6th April Wednesday, log into paystreams website on the Friday to submit them on Friday ( what I have done for 10 months) to find they have killed the expenses portal submission, with a message to return tomorrow which I did to find yes you guessed it I can't submit the expenses for Monday Tuesday, anyway sod it, at least with no expenses submitted for my final week I will see what the full hit will be on my take home on Friday. ( now feet up and on the bench looking for local work)

Comment

Working...
                  X