• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses additional confirmations...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses additional confirmations...

Hi

I bought angle grinder and i sent VAT invoice to my umbrella company as my expense, and this is what they emailed me back:

Good morning,

We need an additional proof as a tool is worth more tan £50.
    Please email us written confirmation by your site manager confirming that you needed this tool to carry on the job.

Kind regards,

So for every time when i will buy tool i need to go to my site manager.) God bless umbrellas...
    Is it legal ?

Originally posted by mirek550 View Post
    Hi

I bought angle grinder and i sent VAT invoice to my umbrella company as my expense, and this is what they emailed me back:

Good morning,

We need an additional proof as a tool is worth more tan £50.
    Please email us written confirmation by your site manager confirming that you needed this tool to carry on the job.

Kind regards,

So for every time when i will buy tool i need to go to my site manager.) God bless umbrellas...
    Is it legal ?
    Legal? Of course it is, that's your employer telling you they have a rule in place.
    Is it some legal requirement that they have that rule? Very unlikely, in fact I can't believe it is.

The Umbrella (your employer) more than likely has an expenses dispensation with HMRC to cover all the usual travel and subsistence stuff and in order to protect itself if questioned by policy it requires extra proof that an expense was needed for the job, not just for personal use.

Comment

Thank You...
      I will go Limited...

Comment

Thank You...
        I will go Limited...
        So you will need written confirmation from your accountant instead
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is anybody else wondering what OP does and why they needed an angle grinder?

Points for originality I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

Because not all contractors are in IT and they could be the tools of his trade if he's an engineer?

Comment

Daft as it sounds in my IT engineering days I routinely carried a few bits of heavier gear on installation jobs. Mainframe installations often needed big holes drilled (3 phase monstrosities hired for the job) through concrete walls and 2 of us cut a 10 ft long 1ft deep trench through the concrete floor of a university basement to accommodate cable runs, that needed a pneumatic hammer and an angle grinder.
              Used an angle grinder once to "customise" a couple of racks in a live comms room.
              Oh the tool hire and purchases where necessary was all expensed of course

Odds are we wouldn't be allowed to do that work these days, but at the time it seemed perfectly rational and safe.

It's not as absurd as it sounds, that being said as NLUK points out various engineering contractors use heavier tools.
              Last edited by TykeMerc; 16 October 2015, 15:51.

Comment

Maybe his radiators are bigger than ours so might need more than the 59p radiator key I put through my books. It was on the same receipt as a life size cardboard gladiator so maybe my accountant didn't spot it to question it.

Comment

Yea I'm electrician... And its 18V angle grinder so its much easier to cut trays, pipes, wood, unish traks and others... I have already confirmation from site manager)

Comment

Yea I'm electrician... And its 18V angle grinder so its much easier to cut trays, pipes, wood, unish traks and others... I have already confirmation from site manager)
                    Alls well that ends well Sometimes its a war with these office bods. (probably didnt know what an angle grinder is )

Comment

Working...
                    X